Museo Ning Angeles, Angeles City, Pampanga province -Philippines
Museo Ning Angeles facade and statue of Dr. Jose Rizal
A small group of writers and bloggers were invited for a whole day tour of Angeles city cultural district . We meet at Trinoma mall before embarking a 2-hour trip to Angeles City, Pampanga.
facade of the old municipal building
This edifice was constructed in 1922 during the incumbency of Mayor Juan Nepomoceno and served as the municipio (town hall) until 1999 after which it was turned over to Kuliat Foundation and converted into what is now the Museo Ning Angeles.
Museo Ning Angeles -historical marker designated the building as Important Cultural Property by the National Museum installed in June 12, 2012
This building is a priceless asset, vintage circa 1920, the edifice is a museum piece by itself, located at the prime Sto. Rosario Historic District across the Holy Rosary Cathedral.
Holy Rosary Parish Church
The church was constructed from 1877 to 1896 by the townspeople of Angeles who were made to work under the Spanish government, where all native males, 16-60, were required to perform manual labor for free. From 1899 to 1900, the U.S. Army used the church as a military hospital.
flea market bazaar
This exhibit bazaar of native cookies were made by women of Angeles City , Pampanga . This is a livelihood project for the community were women were taught how to make home -style traditional cookies and crispy mushroom crackers. Before entering the museum , I have bought some sample of their products .
diorama of the church and Christmas lantern parade in Angeles City
Sulucan is former jail area
Angeles City was formerly called Barrio Culiat, where there are trees that grew abundantly in the area at the time when the first settlers founded the town is now the city’s old district.
Culiat or Kuliat was derived from at least two possible plant names. One is from the plant kuliát, Gnetum indicum Lour. Merr. a woody vine that abound in the place or a shrub of the the same Gnetum family. While the other one is a Diospyros specie, of the black wood family. This family of trees includes the famous Philipine ebony wood, and Talang (Diospyros discolor Willd. [D. philippensis Desr.]). Types of talang includes the known Kamagong or Mabolo tree in many Philippine languages. Culiat Street is said to be the area where the old San Fernando barrio of Culiat was located, near the chapel of Apu Mamacalulu. An old barrio of Tandang Sora in Quezon City is also named Culiat (or Coliat).
a typical fiesta scene
culinary utensils on display found in the second floor
The museum is a common place history and lifestyle community museum to an innovative culinary center that is to become known for the depth of its research, extensive and engaging nature of its collection and its interactive service like cooking demonstration, food festivals and documentation on Kampampangan and International cuisine practice. For those who wanted to conduct research on culinary and culinary studies there is also a library and short culinary course being held at the museum .
Note: The museum also conducts Culinary and Heritage tours around the vicinity and there is a half day tour and a whole day tour available. Unlike other heritage tours one can customized or tailor fit a tour itinerary to suit one’s budget or time
Address: Old Muniscipio Building , Sto. Rosario Heritage District Sto. Rosario Street , Angeles City 2009 -Philippines
Phone (+63) 45-887-47-03 Mobile : (0926) 98766-55
Museum : Opens daily 9:00 am to 5:00pm
night visit and Sundays : by appointment
Museo ning Angeles: http://museoningangeles.blogspot.com/2007/10/about-us.html