Malolos City , Bulacan Province , Philippines
The province of Bulacan was established 15 August 1578. It has 569 barangays from 21 municipalities and three component cities ( Malolos , Meycauayan and San Jose del Monte) .
old postcard depicting Malolos City circa 1903
This old postcard depict the town of Malolos with Tulay Tampoy
Barasoain church ground ( Glorietta ) together with participants
There is a obelisk marker with Mr. Pedro Paterno and the signatories of the First Congress of Emilio Aguinaldo . The marker is made of marble . One of the tour participant is a descendant of Mr. Paterno .
General Emilio Aguinaldo statue
Mr.Mr. Jose Ruel F. Paguiligan ( Curator ) Ms. Rheeza Santiago Hernandez and Mr. Rolando C. Mabini
We were met by Ms. Rheeza Santiago Hernandez( WOMFI member) El Paguiligan NHCP -Barasoain church with their teams.
Mr. Rolando C. Mabini
Mr. Rolando C. Mabini is a (4th generation ) descendant of Apolinario Mabini , We just forgot to bring the commemorative 150th anniversary FDC ( first day cover ) for autograph .
There was an ongoing Santo Nino exhibit.
Our group also witness an ongoing Santo Nino exhibit ( Child Jesus ) in Chinese inspired set-up . Chinese New Year is just a few days from now . There were at least 50 Santo Nino icons on display .
lights and sound museum
life-sized figurines of Malolos Congress
Ms. Vonette Fernandez and Mr. Rolando C. Mabini
Saint John Paul 2 relic
It was in Barasoain Church where three important events of our country took place: the convening of the First Philippine Congress on Sept. 15, 1898; the promulgation of the Philippine Constitution, popularly known as the Malolos Constitution on Jan. 21, 1899; and the inauguration of the First Republic on Jan. 23, 1899, establishing the Philippines as the first democratic country in Asia.”
post war modern house
There are a lot of interesting post war modern homes built within Malolos City
Jose Cojuangco Ancestral House
Jose Chichioco Cojuangco (July 3, 1896 – August 21, 1976) was a former Representative of the 1st district of Tarlac in the Philippines. He served from 1934 to 1946. Cojuangco is one of the patriarchs of the Cojuangco clan. He was the father of former Philippines President Corazon Aquino and the grandfather of current Philippines President Noynoy Aquino. Jose Cojuangco Mansion, at Paseo Del Congreso.
The quaint garden boast of flowering kalachuchi ( frangipani ) , ixora ( santan ) dischidias ( manaog ka irog ) semi-terete orchids , palms and ferns.
Casa Real de Malolos was built in 1580 of light materials a few years after Malolos was founded . It originally served as the seat of government of the town. It also became the town’s Casa Tribunal, Ayuntamiento, Casa Presidencia Municipal. It served as the office of the Treasury and the office of the town’s gobernadorcillo during the Spanish period. It was restored in 1852 using strong materials and typical of bahay na bato . In the later years , The building also serve as a outlet for stamp and postage during the Spanish and American regime . This is some sort of multi-purpose usage , where all the important government offices were housed in one building .
It served as the national printing press of the First Republic, where the revolutionary organs La Independencia, El Heraldo de la Revolucion, Kalayaan and Kaibigan ng Bayan were printed. When the Americans captured Malolos, Casa Real became the seat of their Military Government. It was turned into a hospital in 1923 and later became an annex of the Bulacan High School in 1941. It housed the Japanese Chamber of Commerce during the Japanese Occupation, lastly, it was converted into a municipal library..
In the 1960’s , The entire structure was demolished to pave way for a modern building , However it was too late to save any of the remaining structure . What remains of the old place was eventually restored with the help of the citizens of Malolos , using modern materials like cement, glass , hollow blocks and steel .
Now, a museum serving repository of existing memorabilia like paper bills, coins, stamps, books, Women of Malolos memorabilias, printing press machine and period furnitures .
Paseo del Congreso, Plaza Rizal, Malolos, 3000 Bulacan
(044) 791 2716 Museum Hours: Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 p.m.
Don Antonio S.Bautista mansion
Typical bahay na bato style was constructed around 1812 . It was renovated by Mr. Ramon Alvero in the style of Tampinco ” Art Noveau “
Don Antonio S. Bautista ( aide de camp ) of General Emilio Aguinaldo inherited the house and renovation was done in the 1920’s . We are quite fortunate that the relatives of the mansion were informed and they gladly toured our group inside .
They are commonly known as Moss Roses, Vietnam Roses, Ten ‘o-clock flower, hog weed, they are use to beautify the gate of the house.
Isabelo Tampinco (19 November 1850 – 30 January 1933) was a sculptor known for his woodcarvings for churches, most notably the Church of San Ignacio in Intramuros altar, the pillars, the ceilings and the other intricate portions of the church; public edifices; and homes.
a chandelier with a women head will delight any visitor to this house.
Art Noveau that was most popular during 1890–1910. English uses the French name Art Nouveau (“new art”), but the style has many different names in other countries. A reaction academic art of the 19th century, it was inspired by natural forms and structures, not only in flowers and plants, but also in curved lines. In the Philippines , Art Noveau started to gain popularity around 1900 and lasted until the late 1930’s .
Malolos City Hall
The Malolos Cityhall hall was built in 1940 under the administration of Mayor Leon Valencia
Please try to visit the related links:
Bulacan Culinary and Heritage Tour Part 2 : https://renz15.wordpress.com/2015/01/17/bulacan-culinary-and-heritage-tour-part-2/