Santa Maria , Bulacan Culinary and Heritage Tour part 2

Santa Maria , Bulacan

entrance to the convent  ( Casa Parocochial ) and bishop residence

convent

It is such an opportunity to be allowed a tour within Casa Parochial – Bishop residence .

sala set

main altar

interiors of the church

niches

There are portion of the church where burial place for the prominent families of Santa Maria were buried.

work of arts by local artist

Francisco Santiago historical marker ( 1889 to 1947)

Francisco Santiago historical marker was installed in 1964 . He is a well known composer , music scholar and father of nationalistic music of the country He is also the first Filipino to finished masters and doctorate degrees in music . He is also the first Filipino who became the director of Conservatory of Music in the University of the Philippines .

Mr. Emil Delos Santos and Ms. Erika Varona

Ms. Erika Varona is one of the first batch kundiman singer ( children which were trained as kundiman singers by local artists ) She is also a student of the school which hosted the walking tour.

original marker

The original marker used to be located a few meters within the property and there is a bust of Mr. Francisco Santiago , However the current owner of the house relocated the marker near the street because they believe it was bad feng shui for the place.  Locals do not know why the marker was painted gold instead of the usual black ( background color) and white ( for text) .

Serapio House

We walked along Dr. Teofilo Santiago Street and saw some of the old houses which dates back from the late 1930’s to the mid- 1950’s .

private house located in  2246 Dr. Teofilo Santiago street

bahay na dilaw

Banda 88

The town of Santa Maria boast of one of the oldest and still existing bands in the country established in 1888.  The original band members were chosen from the best and chosen few who excelled in music .

Mr. Epifanio C. Dela Torre- local historian ( Banda 88) and Mr. Jose Benigno Salvador

There was no name and it was simply called Banda Santa Maria . In 1931 people started to name it Banda 88 in reference to the year (1888) when the band was founded.  The younger group was referred to as Banda 31 in reference to May 31, 1931 , the year it was founded . The place is located along Ricardo Nicolas Street.

Banda 88

There are a lot of talents in Santa Maria and people would use them as a stepping stone for greater opportunity.

puto lansong / puto lanson

Since the town boast of rice plantations , freshly milled rice are usually used for making this delicacy

Tinumis Santa Maria

Tinumis Santa Maria is the local version of dinuguan ( pork blood stew)  Their version is made from carabao’s blood and meat . The meat is cooked slowly over a fire and the oil dripping from the carabao’s fats are added to the stew .  Mustard , mustard greens / leaves ( mustasa ) is also added to the dish giving it a different taste.

Tsokolate ni Nana Meng at Tage

Tsokolate ni Nan Meng at Tage is another local version of chocolate ( a bit water down ) aguado .

The chocolate is best quality cacao and peanuts are used. These are slowly roasted to golden-brown perfection, and then ground together to form a thick, rich paste. The finished product is stored in glass jars and has a shelf life of up to eight months. This  is the family recipe of Reyes-Torres family  .

Buenaventura House

This is located along Ricardo Nicolas / Tanaga street just beside Banda 88 . This is a fine example of an early 1900 style of house combination of late Spanish and Early American era style of architecture.

It was built by Mr. Jacinto Buenaventura and  Honorata Serapio .The house was a silent witness to the history of the town.

Santong Gapos 

It is an important center of the activities especially during the lenten season. The yearly pasyon babasa ” reading ”  held every year – The old  life- size wooden image of Christ is is about 100 years-old is referred to as ” Patanaw” or more popularly called ” Santong Gapos” .

maja blanca and puto

The group was treated to a light morning snacks which consists of maja blanca with cheese toppings, puto , polvoron – According to Ms. Daisy Buenaventura , the maja and puto is home made by one of their relatives from Patag – Ms. Lea

Contact: 0905-2690167

At the ground floor is a pharmaceutical store , clinic and a small convenient store.

Dendrobium aphyllum

This native orchid species is planted in an old mango tree . The orchid is at least 10 years old and left unattended by the owners of the house.

typical house entrance

Please visit part 1: Santa Maria , Bulacan Culinary and Heritage Tour part 1

Please to visit part 3 : https://renz15.wordpress.com/2015/03/21/santa-maria-bulacan-culinary-and-heritage-tour-part-3/

Bibliographies and References: National Historical Institute,Filipinos in History Volume 1. Manila: National Historical Institute, 1995 Website: Immaculate Concepcion International College of Arts and Technology (ICI – Sta Maria) Santa Maria Government : http://santamariabulacan.gov.ph/

 

Santa Maria , Bulacan Culinary and Heritage Tour

Santa Maria , Bulacan province

Mayor Bartolome R. Ramos

This tour was  conceptualized by Mr. Jose Benigno Salvador for the Immaculate Concepcion International College of Arts and Technology. The tour was opened to the public last February 18, 2015 and in cooperation with the municipal government of Santa Maria, Artists Guild of Santa Maria, NCCA, NHCP and various NGO and even bloggers.  On March 19, 2015 – More than 50 people attended the event.

Atty. Normita L. Villanueva

We were warmly received by the town’s mayor , some of the councilor , municipal tourism officers and the Immaculate Conception I- College of Arts and Technology ( President Atty. Normita L. Villanueva)

tourism and hrm students

There were about 30 students , faculties and staffs from the school who participated in the walking tour.

We were treated to a breakfast hosted by the town which consists of kesong puti ( white cheese ) pan de sal , scrambled egg and instant coffee mix.  Then were were serenaded by kundiman music.

Mayor Ricardo D. Nicolas, Jr. bust ( term of office : 1972 to 1978)

During his incumbency ,The construction of the first floor of the New Municipal Building was finished . He also launched several projects of the government like construction of artesian wells, implementation of population and nutrition programs, as well as other development projects in the municipality, be it infrastructure or social services. The bust was erected in his honor by his wife Mayor Reylina Nicolas (incumbency 1992 to 2001) first female Mayor of the town.

World War II Veterans Memorial

 The first monument was erected in the  late 1950’s in the municipal cementery . The present monument was erected in 1993 and was initiated by the veterans of the second world war .

Dr. Jose P. Rizal

The monument was erected in 1916 almost the same time with ” Inang Laya” . It was thru the initiative by the veterans of the Filipino Spanish -American war.  What we notice is that all the monument  that are found in the main plaza were colorfully painted in contrast with other monument and markers in  other parts of the country.

The large  plaza fronting the present municipal building is also known as Ricardo D. Nicolas municipal park . Beside the  plaza is the Santa Maria public market and a transport terminal . There is also a night market and nearby towns would come to buy goods.

La Purisima Concepcion House

The house was built after the second world war by Mr. Teofilo Ramirez and Mrs. Balvina Valeriano – The house became center of the church activities during town fiesta during the month of Febuary .

grill works

The walls of the property had pedestal with statue of little children , Mary , Jesus and angels . The house is a rare example on how deeply religious the former owners of the house .

statutes

The traditional changing of clothes of the La Purisima Concepcion which started in the mid 1930’s . It was the family’s house that the image would be brought and the traditional changing of clothes (  fiesta) is being done.  The tradition is even older than the house.

The house is currently being taken cared by Adoracion, Lourdes and Engineer Rolando  Perez, descendants of the the original owners.

Municipal Trial Court

This used to be built in the 1920’s and the center of politics and main town square until the present municipal building was constructed in the 1970’s .

Inang Laya

Inang Laya  ( Mother Liberty ) is a symbol of nationhood.  There are only 4 statutes of  which are found in the town of Santa Maria , Baliuag , Calumpit and San Miguel.

Jose Corazon de Jesus marker National Historical Committee of the Philippines installed the marker in 1964 .

José Corazón de Jesús (November 22, 1896 – May 26, 1932), also known by his pen name Huseng Batute, was a poet, writer  and King of Balagtasan  . He used Tagalog  poetry to express the Filipinos’ desire for independence during the American occupation  of the country a period that lasted from 1901 to 1946. He is best known for being the lyricist of the Filipino song Bayan Ko and Ang Pamana

Jose Corazon De Jesus house

He published some 4,000 poems in his Buhay Maynila column. He also wrote about 800 columns under the title Ang Lagot na Bagting (The Broken String). Although his favored pen name was Huseng Batute, he also wrote about 300 short poems and prose works under several pseudonyms, such as Pusong Hapis, Paruparu, Pepito Matimtiman, Mahirap, Dahong Kusa, Paruparong Luksa, Amado Viterbi, Elias, Anastacio Salagubang and Water Lily.

History and Demographics: It is the one of the most populous municipality  in Central Luzon and 6th most populous in the Philippines.  According to the 2010 census, it has a population of 218,351 inhabitants in 48,946.

Chicharon :

Chicaron Center- Dolores Chicharon since 1978

There are several rows of houses and stalls which sells chicharon . The industry started from humble beginning in 1900 mostly from backyard piggeries and swine growers.  The stalls are located near the church or barangay poblacion.

Nonie’s Best Pork  Chicharon and Jennie’s Pork Chicharon

Nina Pork Chicharon

Contact (044) 641-2254

There were free sampling of the chicharon and some of us cannot resist buying . The price is relatively cheap . Chicharon is priced between Php 10 small packs to Php 150 depending on the packaging and pork . There is also chili flavored chicharon.

Aldana House

A walked around the old poblacion area and we saw a beautiful house where Miss Michelle AldanaMiss Asia Pacific 1993 title holder used to stay during her childhood and with neatly manicured lawn and a boarding house for students (ladies) .  People around the area would refer to this boarding house as Aldana House in reference to the surname of the owner.

We passed Immaculate Concepcion International College of Arts and Technology and have a photo opportunity with the presidents, professors and staffs of the school.

La Purisima Concepcion Church and Convent

The town of Santa Maria used to be part of the town of Meycauayan which was established by the Franciscan order in 1578. The old town includes Obando, Marilao , Bocaue, Polo ( now Valenzuela ) Bigaa , San Jose del Monte and parts of Novaliches ( present day part of Caloocan and Quezon City ) its existence can be traced as early as the year 1647 when it is still a barrio (village) of Bocaue .  The  town was believed to be established on the same period when the  Dominican order which covers Hacienda Lolomboy.

historical marker

La Purisima Concepcion church or Pandi Church was first built in 1792, A big earthquake in 1880 destroyed the old church and restored , unfortunately it was again destroyed by a fire in 1899 during the encounter of Filipino and American forces. It was again later restored. In 1792 it was formally established as a separate parish and was named Santa Maria de Pandi headed by the Franciscan order. Etymology The official name of the town is Santa Maria which is according to the town’s historical account and National Historical Commission of the Philippines . Nested near the Sierra Madre range , the town long history and separation . Santa Maria got its name from its ever guiding patron saint, La Purisima Concepcion, known as Virgin Mary . Townsfolk had a deep devotion to the Virgin Mary and its church sits on a prominent spot.

Please visit the the second part :Santa Maria , Bulacan Culinary and Heritage Tour part 2

Bibliographies and References: National Historical Institute,Filipinos in History Volume 1. Manila: National Historical Institute, 1995 Website: Immaculate Concepcion International College of Arts and Technology (ICI – Sta Maria) Santa Maria Government : http://santamariabulacan.gov.ph/