De Leon St., Barangay. Poblacion,San Miguel, Bulacan province
San Miguel Archangel Church facade
Lakad Pamana with the partnership of Arki’s Tambayan, local government of San Miguel , Bulacan , Clarita Water , Sweet Bulakenya products , Mr. Rolly Reyes, Ms. Aida Yamaguchi of Banal na Bundok , San Miguel residents Mr. Pat Fajardo, Mr. Lorenzo Buencamino had organized a cultural , heritage and industry tour of San Miguel , Bulacan to commemorate the 118th anniversary of independence day .
San Miguel Archangel Church and convent
Travel time from Quezon City to San Miguel had become much faster compared several years ago, When we would endure 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours just to visit the famed municipality .We left Trinoma area past 6:30am and arrived around past 8:00am at Arki’s Tambayan before we toured the church.
interior of the church
This is due to many factors, road are cemented and less traffic due to the public holidays. There is also an ongoing road construction ( viaduct ) which connects the town of San Miguel to Balagtas exit , making travel time even much faster .
There are old narra trees and fountains within the church premises.
It is believed that the town of San Miguel was initially established as a town under the province of Pampanga. The parish of San Miguel de Mayumo was founded years before 1607 as a visita of Candaba .It was declared an independent parish in 1725. However, some records tell that the parish of San Miguel was later annexed to Gapan , Nueva Ecija in 1726 as a visita. It was also recorded that San Miguel de Mayumo was once annexed to Macabebe, Pampanga also as a visita in 1763.
names of the parishioners who donated money for the restoration and rehabilitation of the church.
>1742 Reverend Father Agustin Galeeran-Ministro
>1744 Reverend Father Francisco Alvarez
>1750 Reverend Father Miguel Arias
>1751 Reverend Father Jose Vega Sirvio
>1756 Reverend Father Agustin Alejandro Dominguez
>1759 Reverend Father Juan de Oro
>1769 Reverend Father Gabriel Homar
>1773 Reverend Father Francisco Gonzales
>1839-1840 Reverend Father D. Mariano Buencamino
>1842-1843 Reverend Father D. Anselmo Fajardo
>1847-1849 Reverend Father Antonio de la Fuente
>1850-1863 Reverend Father Juan Manuel Tombo
>1864 Reverend Father Benito Perez
>1866-1870 Reverend Father Eugenio Ortiz
>1875-1879 Reverend Father Francisco Arriola
>1879-1886 Reverend Father Alejandro Hernandez
>1890-1891 Reverend Father Antonio de Piernavida
>1893 Reverend Father Pablo Alvarez
>1894-1898 Reverend Father Joaquin Garcia
>1897 Reverend Father Agapito Pena
Filipino Parish Priests:
>June 15, 1898—1922 Reverend Father Ildefonso Carranza
>July 4, 1923—1931 Reverend Father Deogracias R. Javier
>January 1931— – – – – Ilmo. Monsignor Marcelino Fajardo, P.C.
>August 5, 1931—1936 Reverend Father Arsenio Nicdao
>June 14, 1936—1948 Ilmo. Father Honorio Resurreccion, D.P.
>March 15, 1948—1951 Reverend Father Francisco Domingo
>April 15, 1951—1955 Ilmo. Monsignor Arsenio Reyes, P.C.
>May 10, 1955—1957 Ilmo. Monsignor Pedro L. Abad, P.C.
>May 10, 1957—1968 Ilmo. Monsignor Jose B. Aguinaldo, A.D.
>June 1968—1985 Rt. Rdo. Monsignor Jose M. Salas, D.P.
>June 20, 1985—1987 Reverend Father Paulo Dimagiba
>November 4, 1987—1988 Reverend Father Marcelo Sanchez
>September 5, 1988 Rt. Reverend Monsignor Jaime S. Garcia
>Reverend Father Francisco J. Vistan
>Reverend Father Javier B. Joaquin
>Reverend Father Virgilio M. Cruz
Saint Micheal of Archangel statue
The church, with its predominantly Baroque features, has a two-level façade and a curved pediment surmounted by the rectangular belfry with a bulbous dome .
The façade is primarily adorned by the paired pilasters and multi-edged cornices dividing the front into several sections.
The dome was partly destroyed during the second world war and was restored few years later. the main retablo still boast of beaten silver works , candelabra ( candle holder ) and statue of Saint Micheal of Archangel .
The group also toured the church yard and was led to the niches of the prominent families of the place that was buried.
Dr. Maximo Sison Viola and his wife Juana Roura de Viola
Dr. Maximo Sison Viola (1857–1933) was a propagandist, writer, revolutionary leader and doctor from San Miguel, Bulacan.
He is known as the best friend and confidant of Dr. Jose Rizal in Europe. They work together, they visited museums, art gallery, restaurants and stayed in hotels to work there in Europe. He led a fight against the Spaniards with his two brothers and stayed at Biak-na-Bato. . He also financed the publication of Noli Me Tangere , the first 2000 copies of the novel in 1887. He studied medicine in University of Santo Tomas and in 1882 he went to Spain to continue his studies. He finished his course in the year 1886.
The group saw Mr. Freddie Goyena – proprietor of Goyena Special Chicharon within the church courtyard.
After a short tour of the church and courtyard , The group went to the municipal building and several ancestral houses .
Bulacan Government : http://www.bulacan.gov.ph/generalinfo/hero.php?id=33
Mr. Lorenzo Buencamino