Blooming Sanggumay Orchids in Cebu

Blooming sanggumay orchids were the feast of the day when Mr. Jaime Chua ( a landscaper and architect ) from Mawmawan Farm in Cebu posted at his FB group the spectacular blooms of his Dendrobium anosmum or locally called sanggumay.

sanggumay orchids naturalized on a living tree within the property

A lot of the sanggumay orchids were over 1 to 3 meters long, Hence a lot of them were attached to the trunks and stems of the trees .

light purple and violet sanggumays

Some of his sanggumays were collected within Cebu province, while some are from Luzon .

Although sanggumays bloom only once a year, the spectacular number of blooms and their over powering fragrance.

Good air circulation is also vital for growing long canes or pseudobulbs.

 hundreds of pale purple flowers cascade on the tree trunk

One can admire the sanggumays growing at the living trees.

Photo credit: Mr. Jaime Chua 

Search for Aliwan Festival 2017 Queen

Search for the annual Aliwan Festival 2017 Queen comes to a culmination when 20 Festival Queens from different regions of the country .

presentation of candidates 

Manila Broadcasting Company- President Mr. Ruperto Nicdao Jr.

Now on its 15th year, the Manila Broadcasting Company, organizer of the annual extravaganza, presented to the press the 20 official candidates during a special presentation held at Maxim’s Hotel held yesterday April 18 at Resorts World Manila in Pasay City.

contestants 1 to 10

Ms. Rowena Gandeza, representing the Manggahan Festival of Guimaras; Ms. Julie Faith Agsalud, Zamboanga Hermosa Festival; Angelica Doguiles, Pescao Festival of Zamboanga; Patricia Kate Gonzales, Antipolo Maytime Festival; Alexia Sonia Edmund, Bambanti Festival of Isabela;

Ariella Jazmine Roque, Tuna Festival of General Santos City; Cherry Rose Fernandez, Panagbenga Festival of Baguio; Liezel Libria, Sultan Kudarat Fesival of Maguindanao; Maria Ahtisa Manalo, Niyog-Niyogan Festival of Quezon; Apriel Smith, Utanon Festival of Dalaguete, Cebu;

contestants 11 to 20

Kathleen Mae Lendio, Karansa Festival of Danao City; Alyssa Charish Vivas, Kneeling Carabao Festival of Pulilan, Bulacan; Kyla Ocso, Kalivungan Festival of North Cotabato; Elaine Segura, Iloilo Paraw Regatta Festival; Marla Alforque, Sinulog Festival of Cebu;

Maria Vivien Fabella, Boling-Boling Festival of Catanauan, Quezon; Venisse Charm Costibolo, Sangyaw Festival of Tacloban City; Carmela Villaruel, Timpuyog Festival of Sarangani; Angelica Gabriel, Pasay City; and Erna Torreblanca, Masskara Festival of Bacolod.

The pageant night will be held at the outdoor stage in front of the Aliw Theater at the Cultural Center Complex on Friday, April 21, with the coronation night following the grand parade on Saturday, April 22.

There will be a trade fair , street dancing and people from all walks of life are encourage to participate . The street dancing festivities will start at the Quirino Grandstand, Manila at around past 3:00 pm and will end at the Aliw theater , Pasay City


Feast of Parokya ng Pagkabuhay

The Feast at Parokya ng Pagkabuhay was celebrated with great fever within Barangay Bagbay, Barangay Sauyo and even some parts of Talipapa.

Camp Grezar Fiesta Arch, Bagbag-Novaliches

This marks the Easter day celebration within the community. The arch or ( arko) was made from indigenous materials and recycled items such as plastic bottles, plastic spoons and cans.

Quirino Highway with orange and yellow cloths which serves indicator of the feast

The highlight of the feast are the arches within Barangay Bagbag and the Salubong at the Parokya ng Pagkabuhay parish .

Franco street 

These arches were erected last week as part of the preparations of the Easter festivities. Barangay Bagbag is one of the oldest known Sitios or Barrios of Novaliches.  However the Feast of Parokya ng Pagkabuhay was only held in the mid -1970’s


Kingspoint Subdivision avenue arch located within Barangay Bagbag

Kingspoint Subdivision is located within Barangay Bagbag where the Parish of Parokya ng Pagkabuhay is under the Vicariate of San Bartolome .

The parish was formed in the early 1970’s as a small chapel and was made an independent parish in November 15, 1978.

 Kingspoint – Christ the King of the Universe parish started as a small chapel around 1980 with no permanent priest and the chapel was enlarged several times in the late 1980’s and in the mid-1990’s before the current one was finished to accommodate more people.

Visita Iglesia 2017 of Churches within Para√Īaque City

It was Maundy Thursday ¬†when we decided to visit some churches within¬†Para√Īaque City , Las Pi√Īas and Pasay area within a few short days.

Left around 5:00 am in our home and traffic was quite smooth from Fairview and Novaliches area until a major road repair along EDSA- Magallanes area to Malibay , Pasay halted the buses , jeepneys to almost a crawl . I was stuck to almost standstill for more than 1 hour and arrived almost 7:45 am at the Baclaran church. The 2 hour and 45 minute traffic is still short compared to 3 hours to almost 3 1/2 hours in ordinary days.

Baclaran church

There were a lot of devotees and people taking photos around the church compound. We were also lucky to go inside the main altar took a few snap shots. Before we went to another smaller parish just a few minutes away. Baclaran church had their own website and is open 24 hours . Baclaran Church is known as National Shrine of the Mother of Perpetual Help.

main altar

iron works of the our lady of perpetual help

side chapel

latin inscription 

History :

The present church building is the third built on the site in Baclaran. The first was a small wooden structure dating back to 1932 when the Redemptorists moved into Baclaran. It was in this small church that the first novena was conducted by Fr. Leo English on June 23, 1948. By the end of 1949 the novena had grown to eight sessions with about 60,000 people attending. To meet this demand the church was extended to double capacity by Frs. Taylor and English. This was the second building.

the third building, the present National Shrine, was begun in December 1952. The cornerstone was laid by Cardinal Gilroy of Sydney on January 11th 1953 and it was conseÔŨcrated on Dec. pt 1958 by Archbishop Rufino Santos, assisted by Bp. Antiporda and Bp. Shanley O.CD.. The solemn opening and inauguration took place a few days later on Dec. 5, 1958 by the same Archbishop Rufino Santos, accompanied by Cardinal Agagianian and other bishop.

Santa Rita de Cascia Parish

This is just located a few meters away from Baclaran church , a short walk from the church , this also serves a a border between Maricaban , Pasay and¬†Para√Īaque.

Saint Rita of Cascia Parochial School

There is a parochial school beside the parish church. Saint Rita of Cascia  died on May 22 at Cascia, and many miracles were reported instantly. Canonized in 1900, she is honored in Spain as La Santa de los Impossibles and elsewhere as a patron saint of hopeless causes.

Saint Rita of Cascia

One can offer sampaguita garlands or light a candle

Santa Rita of Cascia side entrance

There are smaller side chapels within the parish compound. The chapels can be rented for funerals.

main entrance

The main entrance boast of stained glass windows

The architecture is rather new and the bells beside the church is late 19th century. A larger hall is located within the compound.

Address : Quirino Avenue, Baclaran, Para√Īaque City, Metro Manila

Tel. Number s Р+632832 1525; +6328323505,  Telefax: 853-063

United Methodist Church 

The United Methodist Church is located at 0199 Qurino Avenue, Barangay Tambo, Para√Īaque City. It is considered as one of the oldest Methodist churches within the city. This had a historical marker installed by then National Historical Institute now (NHCP ) ¬†in 1991.

National Historical Commission of the Philippines marker 1991

History :

The church was established in 1901 in Mabong, Pasay by the American Methodists Missionaries . It was subsequently transferred in Pildira, Pasay in 1915 and in its present location in 1917. The church premises suffered a major blow during World War II when it was hit by a bomb which claimed the lives of seventy-seven Filipinos. In 1950, the church was renovated through the help and generosity of the Philippine War Damages Commission and the Trinity of the United States.

Saint Joseph Parish of Tambo,¬† Para√Īaque City

Saint Joseph Parish of Tambo, Para√Īaque City is located at 223 Quirino Avenue – One can walk for about 20 minutes from Saint Rita of Cascia Parish or take 1 jeepney ride going to Tambo. The church facade had been recently renovated .

statues within the parish courtyard

History :

 According to the community and family friends that we met during the short Visita Iglesia . It was Belgian Catholic missionaries of the Congregatio Immaculati Cordis Mariae (CICM) from nearby Saint Andrew Parish of La Huerta helped planted the seeds of Catholicism in Tambo and by 1969, the barangay have its own Catholic parish named after St. Joseph, the Worker and Husband of Mary with Father Leonardo Marquez as its first parish priest.

Few years ago, the church had some renovation and the main facade was made bigger.

Telephone: +63(2)8528441, (632) 853-4446; 851-2380

San Dionisio Chapel facade made from adobe, bricks and cement. While there are some old acacia trees and palm growing within the outer courtyard of the chapel. The beams are supported by large wood with chandelier.

The main altar retablo ¬†is made from hardwood and¬†St. Dionysius or San Dionisio –¬†local call the saint “Tata Dune”¬†Home of the headless patron saint which is enshrined ¬†at the center of the altar. ¬†Tata Dune was a Bishop from France who was beheaded by his persecutors.

Barangay San Dionisio 

Barangay San Dionisio building was patterned after the facade of the chapel. The Barangay building is just located near the chapel.

local marker

Local marker was installed on May 19, 1990. Beside the chapel is a stage area where a yearly senakulo is staged.

people are refrain from making noise within the chapel premises

located in El Filibustermo Street ¬†corner Quirino Avenue, San Dionisio ,¬† Para√Īaque City

Santa Monica Chapel -Don Galo ,Para√Īaque City

religious statues are covered with purple cloth to symbolized mourning period

Address: 619 Victor Medina Street ,¬†Don Galo ,Para√Īaque City

Barangay La Huerta arch and bridge 

We met some old -time residents of the place, They are quite gracious to tell us the way to Saint Andrew Cathedral . We passed the La Huerta arch and bridge, some old ancestral houses , a couple of eateries along the way.

mansion beside the river

This is a beautiful mansion beside the river with manicured garden and orchids which cling to the coconuts within the property.

Manuel Hernandez -Bernabe  historical marker


Manuel H. Bernabe (1890-1960) ‚ÄúKing of Balagtasan‚ÄĚ in Spanish was a poet, linguist and politician, Manuel Bernabe was born on February 17, 1890 to Timoteo Bernabe and Emilia Hernandez of Para√Īaque, Rizal.

At the age of 10, he already started writing verses. He studied at the Ateneo de Manila where he finished his Bachelor of Arts degree with high academic standing in 1907, and then took up law at the University of Santo Tomas, but not able to took up the bar exams. In 1910, Manuel‚Äôs first poem was published in the Renacimento Filipino. In 1912, he translated Virgil‚Äôs Aenid from Latin to Spanish. In 1913, he received an award for his poems: ‚ÄúHimno al Sagado Corazon de Jesus (Hymn to the Sacred Heart of Jesus), ‚ÄúEl Zapote,‚ÄĚ and ‚ÄúEspana a Filipinas‚ÄĚ.
In 1912, he joined the staff of La Democracia and in 1918, of La Vanguardia of the Roces Publications. He was a columnist but from time to time he also published poems and short stories in the magazine Exelsior.
Manuel also excelled in the balagtasan, where his stalwart adversary was Jesus Balmori. In 1927, he published Balagtasan a compilation of his three poetic joust against Balmori; ‚ÄúEl Recuerdo y el Olvido‚ÄĚ (Memory and Forgetting), ‚ÄúEl Hombre y la Mujer‚ÄĚ(Man and Woman), and ‚ÄúLa Ilusion y el Desengano‚ÄĚ (Illusion and Deception). His other works were: ‚ÄúCantos del Tropico‚ÄĚ ( Songs from the tropic) in 1929, which contains poems. He translated into the Spanish the English version of Edward Fitzgerald‚Äôs Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam, which was praised as the best Spanish translation of that masterpiece by Blasco Ibanez, a Spanish novelist, and also Perfil de la Cresta.
an old mansion near the Saint Andrew Cathedral 
In 1925, he won the Premio Zobel for his translation of Rubaiyat. In 1926, for his and Jesus Balmori‚Äôs Balagtasan, ‚ÄúEl Hombre y La Mujer.‚ÄĚ For high academic and excellent performance, Manuel was chosen a member of the Royal Academy of the Spanish Language in the Philippines in 1931 and was named poet laureate in Spanish (National Poet) on February 25, 1950. For his untiring efforts in the propagation and conservation of the Spanish language, Bernabe received two decorations from Spain – El Yugo y las Flechas in 1940 and orden de Isabela la Catolica in 1953. In 1964, he was also awarded the Patnubay ng Sining at Kalinagan Award by the City Government of Manila.
He taught Spanish in different schools such as: Far Eastern University, Philippine Law School and Institute de Espanol at Colegio de San Juan de Letran. In 1951, he accompanied President Elpidio Quirino on the latter’s state visit to Spain. He joined the world of politics, as a representative to Congress of the first district of Rizal.
He retired from politics and once more joined the journalistic profession in the La Vanguardia. He was appointed professor of Spanish at the University of the Philippines and a technical assistant for Filipino-Spanish Relations at Malaca√Īang from 1943-1947. Bernabe died of coronary thrombosis on November 29, 1960, at barrio La Huerta,Para√Īaque , as he was having conversation with his friends, he collapsed and never regained consciousness.
He was also featured in Philippine stamps in 1990 to commemorate the centennial of his birth.
References: Philippine Postal Corporation Philatelic Bulletin : May ,1990 ( Manuel H. Bernabe)
National Historical Commission of the Philippines

Saint Andrew Cathedral

Saint Andrew Cathedral is officially The Cathedral Parish of St. Andrew and commonly referred to as the Para√Īaque Cathedral, is one of the oldest churches in the country.¬†It was established on May 11, 1580 by the Agustinian order.¬†The church is the seat of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Para√Īaque.

apostolic marker installed in 2011

main altar

painting which depicts Saint Andrew parish and its images

These churches and shrines is just 2 ride away from Asiatel Airport Hotel .

Address : Aurora formerly Tramo Road, cor. Andrews, Aurora Blvd, Pasay City, Metro Manila, Philippines
Near Resorts World Manila, NAIA Terminal 3.


Yummy Delights at Chef Ferdie’s Burgers Wings and Dip at Nangka, Marikina City

Chef Ferdie’s Burger and Wings started their operations at their backyard around late 2015 and was named after the proprietor Chef Ferdie’s . ¬†It started as a simple snack house within their neighborhood area. Eventually, more people came and their house garage became too cramp for their expanding business.

The husband and wife tandem decided to open a restaurant outlet near their house last  November 8, 2016 .

Chef Ferdie’s Burgers , Wings and Dips Restaurant

Chef Ferdie’s Burger , Wings and Dip Restaurant open at M and J Square 2nd Floor, J.P. Rizal corner Buenamar Street near Puregold , ¬†Nangka , Marikina City .

Chef Ferdie’s interior

The restaurant can accommodate between 25 to 30 people at any given occasion, But a pre-reservation is a MUST for those planning to book the restaurant for their event.

Chef’s Ferdie’s Burger , Wings and Dips Specialties¬†

lemonade and cucumber drink

Lemonade and cucumber drink at Php 38

¬†Chef’s Barbecue Spare ribs with a Choice of Mashed Potato, Fries and Coleslaw

Chef’s barbecue spare ribs only cost Php 188.00

Burger Extreme

Burger Extreme is only priced at Php 148.00

Garlic Buttered Wings with Dip

Garlic Buttered Wings with Dip Php 178.00 ( 6 piece)  just add Php 38.00 for unlimited rice

Spicy Red Buffalo Wings at Php 178.00 

Nutty Banana Split Extreme

Nutty Banana Split Extreme with marshmallows , topped with vanilla ice cream, peanuts , glazed with sugar and chocolate syrup MUST TRY at Php 258.00 ( for sharing )

Kawaling Pinoy members

Operations: Everyday 9:00 am to 10:00 pm 

Last Order : 9:30 pm 

Contact : 9851380 / 0918-6690296

Address:  M and J Square 2nd Floor, J.P. Rizal corner Buenamar Street near Puregold ,  Nangka , Marikina City . 

How to commute : From SM North EDSA or Trinoma , there are jeepeney and AUV express which ply San Mateo . Then take another jeepney ride going to Marikina .

%d bloggers like this: