We were able to visit one of the parishes which form part of the Archdiocese of Novaliches. Camarin is part of the large Tala estate, which is the former name of the place. That was before Novaliches was formed in 1855.
Old time residents would refer the old etymology as reference for the clear stars, during night-time.
The locality used to have large storage for grains and rice which is called ” Camarin“. Fruit bearing trees like caimito, duhat, mangoes, santol, jackfruit, saba banana, malunggay and lowland vegetables are commonly planted even up to the late 1980’s.
sari-sari store with local biscuits, candies and toys for sale ( beside Camarin Elementary School )
The population within the area since late 1940’s to early 1970’s continue to grow. There is the growing migration from parts of Novaliches, Caloocan, Quezon City and nearby areas.
cheap toys, plastic toys and school supplies are also sold at this small ambulant store
Some are transient visitors and informal settlers which were relocated in the area during the early 1970’s up the mid- 1990’s. North Caloocan Cityhall annex is also built within few kilometers away to serve the people.
North Caloocan Cityhall compound
Saint Joseph the Worker Parish facade made from cement , adobe and modern stained glass windows
In 1945, after World War II ended, Rev. Fr. Anthony Leo Hofstee, O.P. was assigned Army Chaplain of the American soldiers stationed in the Philippines. In 1953, the construction of the Tala-Barracks church was made possible through his initiative.
Saint Joseph the Worker Parish signage
Old time residents, would recount that a small chapel was made in the mid 1950’s was made from light materials.
Fr. Hofstee requested Dr. Leandro Uyguanco, then the Director of the Central Luzon Sanitarium (now Dr. Jose N. Rodriguez Memorial Hospital), to donate a portion of the hospital lot where a chapel could be built. At that time, people who lived outside the premises of the leprosarium had to go inside to hear Mass.
When the Ascension of Our Lord Parish (AOLP) in Lagro, Novaliches was established with Fr. Walter de Vilder, CICM as its first Parish Priest under the jurisdiction of the Ecclesial District of Quezon City, the St. Joseph the Worker Church was placed under AOLP with 11 other Sub-Parishes in Caloocan City.
interior of the parish
Under the auspices of Holy Cross Parish Acting Parish Priest Rev. Fr. Romeo M. Gaviño, SOLT, the Archdiocese of Manila finally decided to establish the St. Joseph the Worker Parish on November 12, 1997 in response to the growing needs and number of the Catholic population.
Saint Joseph and Child Jesus in processional carriage
church cemetery ( located at the right side of the parish church)
newly built niches for the dead people
interiors of the parish
With the advent of the new millennium, more parishioners and people would visit the parish and pray.
Address: St. Joseph Avenue , Barracks II, Tala 1427 Caloocan City
References: Archdiocese of Novaliches
personal communication with the residents of Camarin
leaflets and devotional guide- Saint Joseph the Worker Parish