Jonas Pares House is a MUST dine- in place when one is within the vicinity of N.S. Amoranto street (formerly called Retiro street) and near Banawe street. The Pares House specializes on beef, pork pares, siopao asado, bola-bola, dimsum, mami, kikiam, buchi, chopsuey and other home cooked dishes.
two kinds of siopao ( asado and bola-bola take out pack), Jonas beef pares, fried rice and free soup
Jonas Pares House is located within Mayon street corner Malindang street, Quezon City.
chicken feet with tausi
steamed siopao asado and bola-bola
Jonas started as a small carinderia / eatery with just a few seats available way back in 1979. It was the husband and wife tandem of Mr. Roger Tiu and Mrs. Lolita ” Lolly” Tiu team up with a seed capital of Php 6,000 envisioned a restaurant providing fine-dining quality food at a price affordable to masses.
Jonas history by Mr. Cirilo F. Bautista (poet, columnist)
The recipe came from her father who would often got invited during fiesta or special occasions to cook for the guests. His love and passion for food that would define his legacy which left lasting impact in the culinary world. Eventually, he taught his daughter the art of cooking pares and its ingredients.
Mr. Roger Tiu would cooked the beef pares while Mrs. Lolita Tiu would serve to their clients. Most of the early customers were from nearby Lourdes church and outlying areas.
What makes Pares so special is how the beef was prepared and cooked. Seventy percent (70%) of the beef is lean meat from beef flanks; the rest of the 30% is from fat. The beef is tender because it was slow-cooked in a charcoal-fed fire for at least 12 hours !
They started cooking 5 kilos of beef pares in 1979 and increased to at least 100 kilos of beef meat everyday by 2019. Jonas Pares is credited and popularized the term “Pares” which means the pairing of beef and fried rice. Pares meal which started within the district then soon spread to different parts of the city and in far flung provinces.
shrimp hakaw -one of MUST try dimsum
Jonas Pares started adding more dishes and enlarging their restaurant by the 1990’s. The restaurant floor space was increased, its facilities upgraded, and air-conditioning installed.
Sitting Capacity and Ambiance
Jonas Pares House is well lighted with modern fixture and cozy ambiance with a sitting capacity of between 70 to 80 persons at any given time. Mixing both native, modern while having a community bulletin board for those who wanted to post their messages.There is also a counter where one can get free service water, tube ice, condiments and chili paste.
take out counter
There is also a small take out counter inside the restaurant where one can buy some dimsum, cakes, canned drinks, buchi, pastries, nuts among others.
community bulletin board
Blueberry cheese cake– One of their best selling desserts (Php 110 per slice). We tasted their famed blueberry cheese cake which is a little bland for our taste.
In- House Promo
There is an in-house promo which enable customers to buy 6 siopao ( steam buns) for just Php 270.00. It comes with its sauce and special package. Ideal for pasalubongs and treats. One can order a combination of asado and bola-bola.
The restaurant is also listed under popular travel and restaurant site zomatoph, booky and tripadvisor.
Note and full disclosure: The prices quoted in this website is base on the prevailing prices. Prices of their meals, pares and in-house promo are subject to change without prior notice from the management of the establishment. The author is not connected with the management or employed by Jonas restaurant. Just an ordinary “suki” customer at the place.
Address: 561 Mayon street corner Malindang street, Santa Mesa Heights, Quezon City, 1114 Metro Manila.
Operations: Everyday from 6:30 am to 10:00pm
Contact (02) 712 6261
How to Commute: ( There are many ways on how to commute going to Jonas Pares)
1.) From Mayon street and A. Bonifacio Avenue- Take a jeepney ride with Mayon street going to Welcome Rotunda jeepney ( Php 9.00 minimum fare) One can opt to walk along the Mayon/ Del Monte Avenue intersection which can take between 25 minutes to 35 minutes walk.
2.) From Santa Cruz / Blumentritt -Manila – Take a jeepney with Retiro street signage ( aka N.S. Amoranto street route) – From Blumentritt ( Php 9.00 minimum fare to Php 12.00 per head depending on the route)
3.) From PNRI station Blumentritt – Take jeepney route going to Retiro/ Muñoz ( Php 9.00)
4.) From LRT line 1 -Blumentritt station – Take jeepney with the route Santa Cruz/ Retiro to Muñoz
5.) From Quezon Avenue/ MCDO- There is a jeepney route which ply Quezon Avenue to Banawe street.