Celebration of the 400th Anniversary of Santa Cruz Parish

The parish of Santa Cruz which was carved from the growing Filipino-Chinese community started early 18th century. Santa Cruz which also encompass Escolta street was considered as part of the extended commercial, trade and services sector particularly during the Spanish, American, Japanese and early republic which thrives in the district.

image

Santa Cruz parish main facade

The church architecture is a combination of of California style mission, baroque and Asian- Hispanic style. The last restoration was done in the mid-1950’s just after the war.

The current facade was renovated few years ago and several commemorative markers are found within the facade of the church.

image

granite tombstone slab in front of the main entrance

image

marker

Santa Cruz Parish History

image

left Saint Peter Julian Eymard , center mosaic tiles Blessed Sacrament and Nuestra Señora del Pilar

Santa Cruz parish was erected on 20 June 1619. It was recounted that the Jesuits were called to administer the parish primarily to look after the spiritual needs of the growing Chinese population in the adjacent Binondo district. Binondo is located just within 1 kilometer away from the parish and serves as extension of the Chinatown district.

image

interior

A replica of the image of Nuestra Señora del Pilar (Our Lady of the Pillar) in Zaragosa, Aragon, Spain was enshrined by the Jesuits in this church and in 1743, the Confraternity of Our Lady of the Pillar was canonically established. Nuestra Señora del Pilar eventually became the titular of the parish.

image

jubilee cross

image

Saint John Paul II statue is one of the saints venerated at the parish

On April 1, 1764 at the ground surrounding Sta. Cruz Church, British commander Blackhouse, surrendered over the keys of Manila to Governor Anda.

image

commemorative bust of Simon de Anda installed in June 8, 1958 hidden in one corner of the parish.

The plaque below Anda’s bust are the words: 1764. IN THIS SITE THE PLAZA OF MANILA WAS RETURNED BY THE INVADING ENEMY TO THE EMINENT PATRICIAN D. SIMON DE ANDA Y. SALAZAR. FILIPINAS ERECTS THIS TO HIS MEMORY. May 31, 1764.

image

Plaza Santa Cruz with Carriedo fountain, Monte de Piedad and Chinatown Welcome Arch

image

Plaza Lacson aka Plaza Goiti during the late Spanish, American and early republic

The area also had a street car station which is located in Plaza Goiti, while LRT Carriedo station is located just a few meters away.

Towards the mid-19th century, Parish priest Ezequiel Moreno ( now a saint) in October 1880 after being assigned in Mindoro, Palawan and Las Piñas. He became Preacher General, was assigned Parish priest assuming the post in February 1881 until the following year.

image

columbary units located within the side chapel

The church was burned to the ground during the last world war in 1945 with only the facade, bell tower and side walls remains. Few artifacts which included the venerated Our Lady of Pillar was saved.

Manila Symphony Orchestra (MSO) under the Austrian conductor Dr. Herbert Zipper, All the members of the MSO were Filipinos except a young violinist, Manuel “Imo” Wilheim, a Jewish refugee. The other was lead clarinetist Earl J. Smith, of the 37th Division Band held their post liberation concert, fund raising and “Thanksgiving” within the ruins of the church.

image

Plaza Santa Cruz – Photo courtesy of Mr. John Tewell from flickr

Concert was given in the ruins of Santa Cruz Church on May 9, 1945. Among the attendees included Jean MacArthur, wife of Douglas MacArthur, Philippine Chief of Staff General Basilio Valdes and his wife, and His Grace Manila Archbishop Michael O’ Doherty

A decree issued on 18 December 1984 by the late Arhbishop of Manila Jaime Cardinal Sin reverted the name to Santa Cruz Parish. In the same decree, Saint Peter Julian Eymard was named as the second patron of the parish.

image

spiral staircase going to the belfry of the church

Santa Cruz church became a center of eucharistic evangelization and adoration and was informally recognized as a Shrine of the Blessed Sacrament.

image

religious bookstore and supplies within the parish

400th Anniversary Celebrations

Parish pastoral council launched a year-long celebration of the parish. His Excellency, Bishop Sofronio Bancud, SSS presided over the thanksgiving Mass and the blessing of the jubilee door last June 20, 2019.

image

jubilee door with 400th anniversary logo

The year round will be capped with the colorful fiesta and several events in which devotees of the blessed sacrament can participate.

It is also worthwhile to those who wanted to help the parish feeding program to coordinate with them, since the parish is known to give indigent community rice porridge “lugaw” and pandesal.

References and Bibliography:

NHCP historical marker

Saint Ezequiel Moreno bibliography
Santa Cruz parish leaflet

Santa Cruz Church : A living Heritage book

” Herbert Zipper”  holocaustmusic.ort.org. Retrieved November 12, 2011

A Visit to the Parish of the Hearts of Jesus and Mary in Quezon City

An unplanned visit was arranged by distant relative who lives within Barangay West Triangle near Examiner street in Quezon City.

The distant relative wanted to show their garden because they are planning to re-landscape their garden with flowering plants and native plants which they are planning to buy at the weekend market or in the province.

Cymbidium finlaysonianum

Cymbidium finlaysonianum and a pocket garden near the parish

We were given a short tour within the parish, park and their garden.

IMAGE

facade

Parish of Hearts of Jesus and Mary History

IMAGE

interior

The Chapel of the Nativity initially was makeshift altar,was built upon the initiative of the employees of DBP Housing area, led by Mr. and Mrs. Delfin Palacios.

IMAGE

side view interior

It was later administered by Msgr. Alfredo Reyes, parish priest at Sta. Rita in the Philamlife Village. He was assisted by guest priests, notably Frs. Ben Villote, Israel Nacu, Dick Freiss, and Dave Veihland.

IMAGE

commemorative marker

The Chapel of the Nativity community was made by Jaime Cardinal Sin, a new parish, renamed “Parish of the Hearts of Jesus and Mary,” on February 27, 1988. Fr. Gio G. Evangelista was designated as the first parish priest.

IMAGE

Through the persistent efforts of barangay captain Atty. Arturo De Leon and Fr. Dave Veihland, the Quezon City government, through mayor Brigido Simon, awarded a contract of lease of the church site to the Roman Catholic Archbishop of Manila. Built on the site was a beautiful church, which was formally consecrated and dedicated by Jaime Cardinal Sin, D.D, on May 3, 1992.

IMAGE

statues of jesus and mary

Garden and Park

IMAGE

garden with all purpose community center

IMAGE

Trichoglottis rosea

There is a mini park, columbary area, playground, covered community court, manicured lawn, fruit trees like mangoes, manila palm, orchids planted within the area.

IMAGE

garlic vine flower or Mansoa alliacea

IMAGE

garlic vine growing on a cement trellis

IMAGE

variegated agave

The parish is also famous for their beautiful baptismal front, manicured garden and wedding place.

gumamela

gumamela

IMAGE

 schedule of daily mass

 homeowners have a nice garden and ornamental plants like gumamelas, variegated agave, herbs, mini- vegetable garden, orchids.

IMAGE

tropical zen garden with Buddhist statues

Mass and Confession Schedule

Confession schedule: 6:00pm to 7:00pm Wednesdays and Fridays or by appointment

Weekday masses at 6:30am and 6:00pm Mondays to Saturdays; anticipated mass at 7:15PM Saturday

Address: Daily Mirror street corner Bulletin street, Barangay West Triangle, Quezon City

Contact: (02) 371 9102 /Fax 371-9102

Sources and References:

Parish of the Hearts of Jesus and Mary – marker

Archdiocese of Cubao

Personal interview with homeowners

7th Marian Exhibit at Santuario de San Pedro Bautista in Quezon City

7th Marian Exhibit with the theme “Inang Maria: Liwanag at Patnubay ng Kabataan sa Pagharap sa Hamon ng Panahon” from July 25 until August 4, 2019. The marian exhibit will be held at San Pedro de Bautista Parish in Quezon City.

Activities and schedules are as follows:

Opening of the Exhibit
July 25, 2019 (Thursday) | after the 6:00 pm Mass

Novena Masses
July 25 – August 2, 2019 | 6:00 PM

Fiesta Solemn Mass and Procession
August 3, 2019 | 5:00 PM

Exhibit hours will be from 8:00 AM – 12:00 NN and 2:00 PM – 8:00 PM.

For more information, you may contact our Parish Office at Tel. Nos. 415-7235 loc. 8001 or 373-2971

Easter Vigil 2019 at Christ the King of the Universe Parish in Kingspoint, Novaliches

Holy Week is one of the most important event in the Catholic church. One of the most anticipated event at the Christ the King of the Universe parish within Kingspoint subdivision, Barangay Bagbag, Novaliches in Quezon City is the annual Easter vigil.

church historical marker

A small chapel was constructed early in 1980. While several minor renovations were made in the late 1980’s. Portion of the chapel was enlarged in the mid-1990’s because of increasing parishioner from nearby subdivision. The present church facade and structure was enlarged in 2001 and became a full pledge parish of the diocese of Novaliches in 2004.

holy week schedule of activities

The full holy week schedule was posted at several vantage points within the subdivision and FB page of the parish. Easter day celebrations in the mid- 1980’s and 1990’s were simple.

Christ the King of the Universe parish ( vigil rites)

Images inside churches remain draped in purple. The administration of sacraments is severely limited.

facade of the church

The shift from mourning to joy begins at night with the observance of the Easter Vigil, the third and final day of the Paschal Triduum that began on Maundy Thursday. There was also the procession of Santo Entierro during Good Friday.

Someone from the parish invited me to the vigil which led up to the reenactment of the Easter day “Salubong”.

registration area

Easter day salubong was participated by the community of Kingspoint Subdivision, San Pedro IX, Goodwill Homes 1, Grand Monaco Villas, Dupax compound, Oro compound, Alipio compound, Kasiyahan Village up to California Village in nearby Barangay San Bartolome.

The rite is customarily performed in the early hours of Easter before the first Mass, Which is normally held at around past 4:00 am, while some of the parishioners are already inside the church as early as 3:00am.

participants climb the makeshift platform

Unlike in Makati or some places, Easter Vigil and Salubong takes place around midnight. Easter day celebration within Christ the King of the Universe parish usually happen early dawn at around past 3:00 am.

Easter salubong ritual is meant to depict the apocryphal reunion of Christ and his Mother, the Virgin Mary, after the Resurrection. Statues of both are borne in two separate processions that converge at a designated area which is often an open space with a purpose-built scaffolding at the main entrance of the parish.

children in white dress and wings

The high point of the easter day rites is the angel dramatically removes the veil from the Virgin’s icon, signalling the abrupt end to her grieving and the period of mourning. The veil may simply be pulled off the statue, or tied to balloons or doves that are released into early dawn rites. With white balloons released at the church.

Ms. Jhuie Annika P. Delagala from California Village

Ms. Jhuie Annika Delagala is is hoisted at the makeshift entrance and was the one who took the viel from the blessed mary.

Dozens of children in white dress, with angel wings. While 4 children dress as angels threw in flower petals unto the processional carriages.

start of the easter salubong celebration

The celebrations started with an early morning mass by 5:00 am. The regular mass was celebrated by 6:00 am.

Christ the King of the Universe parish entrance

morning mass at past 10:00 am

Christ the King of the Universe parish within Kingspoint subdivision is getting elaborate and more parishioner are joining the annual Easter celebrations.

Address: King Christian Street, Kingspoint Subdivision, Barangay Bagbag, Novaliches, 1116 Quezon City, Philippines

 Contact : (02) 937 8941

A Visit to the Immaculate Conception Church of Bulan Sorsogon

Bulan , Sorsogon province -Philippines

The Immaculate Conception Parish Church is said  to be  as the biggest parochial church in Sorsogon province . This is more popularly called Bulan Catholic Church .

watchtower

This used to be a small parish church built during the Spanish period but the church is continuously expanded and a new belfry was erected in 2000. According to our relatives from Bulan, the church used to be open 24 hours a day but due to safety and security concerns . Caretakers had to open the church only on special request or past 4:30am .

marker

There is a belfry that was constructed on March 15, 2000 and finished on May 25, 2000 . It was blessed and dedicated on June 12, 2000.  This was spearheaded by The 3M Squires Foundation.

marble plaque -donated by Mrs. Torribia Viyuda De Vera ( my maternal grandmother) 

The church ground is quite big with major construction happened from 1965 to 1967 with prominent families , politicians , public school teachers, Filipino-Chinese association donating money for the construction of the foundations of the church.

The names of the families and associations which donated to the construction had their family surnames etch on a plaque and installed at the pillars of the church.

Bulan District Teachers

Tomasa viyuda Lim

Lola sa Tuhod -Señora Tomasa viyuda de Lim is my maternal grandmother’s – stepmother .

Queen Mely de Vera – Miss Bulan 1965

 According to the stories of my second cousin Ms. Myrna Uy of Bulan , Sorsogon. There was a beauty pageant organized by the Filipino-Chinese Chamber of Commerce and Industry – Bulan chapter way back in 1965 together with the Bulan community. The aim was to help built the church and the proceeds of the pageant was used in the construction of the church.

There were several young women that joined the competition and people would buy ballots in support of the candidates. The contestants were judge not on beauty alone but on bearing . After the tabulation, Miss Milagros Lim de Vera ( maternal aunt) who won the title and all the proceeds were donated to the church .

main altar

There is also a daily mass which starts at around past 5:15 am , The language spoken is Bikol- Sorsogon .

immaculate conception -this is about 15 feet statue

the statute is lighted during the mass

our lady of perpetual help

This is located just a few meters from the house of where i stayed.  A Visit to Sibil Cemetery in Bulan, Sorsogon

 

%d bloggers like this: