Different Marian statues at the 7th Marian Exhibit within Santuario de San Pedro Bautista

More than 90 Marian images, portraits and life size statues of Blessed Virgin Mary were on exhibit at the 7th Marian Exhibition within the Santuario de San Pedro Bautista church in San Francisco del Monte district within Quezon City.

Marian ImagesMarian images

The church is also known as San Francisco del Monte Church which was established in 1590.

historical marker

historical marker

This is the oldest part and most historic part of the city and there are still some old ancestral houses, mid-modern turn of the century houses and buildings which dotted the district.

church facade

present day church main facade

entrance

old facade and entrance to the church – This was before the church was enlarged in the early 1990’s

church

The area once covered an area of about 250 hectares which is thickly wooded, eight water springs, creeks are located. According to old time residents of San Francisco del Monte, they used to get their potable drinking water from the deep wells within the church. Jeepney and residents of the place would also refer this area as Frisco.

7th Marian Exhibit

7th Marian exhibit is within the parish church. There were friendly parishioners, staff and guardians of the sacred Marian images who would guide those visiting the exhibit. Some would also tell the stories of their venerated statues.

Our Lady of the Barangay

Our Lady of the Barangay ,Nuestra Señora de Barangay, Bihen Sang Barangay or Birhen sa Barangay is a title given to virgin mary which wears a native balintawak dress holding a baby jesus with rosary.

Some Catholics thought that this was a representation of the Virgin Mary from the Aglipayan church.

Santa Maria Siempre Virgen statue

Regina Virginum

Regina Virginum

Nuestra Señora del Carmen

Nuestra Señora del Carmen

Nuestra Señora del Calvario

Santa Maria Madre de Dios

Santa Maria Madre de Dios – owned by the family of Mr. Robby Villano dela Vega.

The statue is a late 19th century vintage from the Visayas. It was formerly from the collection of Mr. Alex M. Castro of Mabalacat, Pampanga before the statue was given to him as a gift by Mr. Castro in 2006. The statue’s face was restored sometime in 2006.
She serves as the Virgen delas Flores during the Mayflower festivities in the Parish of St. Francis of Assisi in Meycauayan City, Bulacan province.

This statue of the blessed virgin mary caught everyone’s attention because of the her beautiful face and hands  ( presumably made from ivory) with necklaces made from ivory too.


This vigin mary inside a wooden urna with carabao bone inlay is also presumed to be made from ivory too.

Marian images

Exhibit hours will be from 8:00 AM – 12:00 NN and 2:00 PM – 8:00 PM. The 7th Marian Exhibit will be until August 4, 2019.

Notes: Any donations for the various projects of the parish is accepted at the parish office or donation boxes at the exhibit area.

How to Commute: Taking a jeepney ride is the most reasonable. there are many routes which ply near San Pedro de Bautista street or near Del Monte Avenue in Quezon City.

1.) Project 8 via Roosevelt Avenue to Quiapo ( take off at Del Monte Avenue and short walk towards the San Pedro de Bautista street. ) Mc Donalds -stoplight

2.) Via Muñoz Market to Quiapo  ( take off at Del Monte Avenue and short walk walk towards the San Pedro de Bautista street. ) Mc Donalds- stoplight

3.) Balintawak to Frisco ( take off at San Pedro Pedro de Bautista street-arko )

4.) Blumentritt to Muñoz market ( take off at San Pedro de Bautista street -arko)

7th Marian Exhibit at Santuario de San Pedro Bautista in Quezon City

7th Marian Exhibit with the theme “Inang Maria: Liwanag at Patnubay ng Kabataan sa Pagharap sa Hamon ng Panahon” from July 25 until August 4, 2019. The marian exhibit will be held at San Pedro de Bautista Parish in Quezon City.

Activities and schedules are as follows:

Opening of the Exhibit
July 25, 2019 (Thursday) | after the 6:00 pm Mass

Novena Masses
July 25 – August 2, 2019 | 6:00 PM

Fiesta Solemn Mass and Procession
August 3, 2019 | 5:00 PM

Exhibit hours will be from 8:00 AM – 12:00 NN and 2:00 PM – 8:00 PM.

For more information, you may contact our Parish Office at Tel. Nos. 415-7235 loc. 8001 or 373-2971

9 Fun Facts about Our Lady of Fatima Chapel inside Far Eastern University

Our Lady of Fatima chapel or FEU chapel is located inside the Far Eastern University campus in Manila.

group photo of FEU campus tour by Professor Dennis Maturan last July 6, 2019

It has long been the source of spiritual strength of the academic community since this was blessed and inaugurated in 1957. It is under the titular patronage of Our Lady of Fatima. The chapel houses priceless religious work of art beautifully crafted by some of the country’s national artists and world re-known architect. the chapel is also known for UAAP championship celebration.

religious statues

National artist for literature Nick Joaquin’s memorabilia is also exhibit at the FEU library.

9 Fun Facts about Our Lady of Fatima chapel

9.) Old Site of ROTC Armory  – It was the site of old ROTC armory. It was a project of FEU Student Catholic Action during the incumbency of Mr. Herminio A. Astorga ( 1954-1955) and later on his successor Ms. Amelita Tanseco ( 1955-56) and Mr. Ernesto Rivera ( 1956-57).

Architect Felipe M. Mendoza ( FEU archives)

8.) Architect Felipe M. Mendoza– (May 26, 1917 – April 28, 2000) is a renown Filipino architect, urban planner, writer who partnered with Mr. Gabino de Leon and Mr. Homero Ingles in his early years as architect. Then he established his own architectural firm in 1951.

He designed the chapel in 1955 and two other FEU buildings . It took almost two years before the chapel was completed. Among his notable works also included Batasang Pambansa, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, Development Academy of the Philippines, Philippine Veterans Bank, Assumption College , Antipolo, Sandigan Bayan building among others.

7.) International style architecture – This is a type of post modern architectural style which started in 1920’s to 1930’s which is related to post modern architecture. The architectural style flourish after the world war 1 in Netherlands, Germany, France, Sweden and eventually spread in many parts of Europe and United States.  In the Philippines, This style trended in the mid-1950’s up to late 1960’s.

The style is characterized by an emphasis on volume over mass, the use of lightweight, mass-produced, industrial materials, rejection of all ornament and color, repetitive modular forms.

FEU chapel marker

6.) First Lady Luz Banzon Magsaysay and Education Secretary Manuel Lim as  principal sponsors  –  The chapel was inaugurated on December  8, 1957. The blessing was conducted by then Manila Archbishop Rufino J. Santo (who would later become cardinal). The chapel is 62 years-old in 2019.

5.)  Sitting Capacity and Standing Capacity – The chapel can only accommodate between 300 to 350 people at any given time. Which is small compared to the number of students, faculties and employees of the university.  The altar area was elevated by 5 feet so that those standing outside can still see it unobstructed from the Tamaraw Plaza, Independence Plaza, Freedom Park, Activist Plaza. Which a further 300 to 500 people can view the ongoing mass of celebrations outside the chapel.

4.) Talleres Maximo Vicente– Several religious icon found inside the chapel are carved by a well -known religious sculptor santorero Mr. Maximo Vicente from Quiapo district. He was commissioned to make the life-sized statues of Sacred Heart of Jesus, Our Lady of Fatima and Joseph with Jesus in the late 1950’s.

3.) La Pieta by Napoleon Abueva – This was donated by the Maestro Napoleon Abueva to the university in 1999. This was made from fiber glass material and the personal interpretation of the La Pieta in Rome.

FEU chapel interior- the crucified Christ was oil on canvass by Maestro Carlos “Botong” Francisco. and the halo at the center was for the Our Lady of Fatima.

2.) Stations of the Cross and Crucified Christ by Maestro Carlos “Botong” Franciso – The 14 stations of the cross is divided into different sections. The painting was signed on August 1, 1956 by the artist.  The Crucified Christ serves as a focal point of the chapel is made from oil on canvass.

tile mosaic

1.) Our Lady of Fatima tile mosaic by Vicente Manansala–  One of the rare works of Vicente Manasala in glossy blue hues for the facade of the chapel.

How to commute and take public transportation:

1.) From East side of Metro manila : Ride the LRT-2 Station and alight off at Recto Station. From there, look for Jeepneys bound to Morayta ( Nicanor Reyes Sr. street) . Ask the driver to alight you at FEU gate #4.
2.) If you are coming from the North or South:  Ride the LRT-1 and alight off at Doroteo Jose Station.  From there, look for Jeepneys bound to Morayta. Ask the driver to alight you off at FEU gate #4.
3.) From Novaliches/ Blumentritt / Retiro area: Take a Blumentritt route then take Dimasalang- UST – Padre Campa route.
4.) Fairview area: Take jeepney with Quiapo route or bus , take off at Lerma street. There is an underpass.
Photo courtesy of Mr. Dennis Maturan, a participant of the Balik FEU and UE campus tour
Note: There is a FREE guided tour conducted by the author or FEU tour guides (by special appointment) At least 1 week in advance reservations.

Sources and References:

Personal interview with FEU alumni

Commemorative marker inside the chapel

FEU Paragon – Mr. Conrado L. Venzon IV and Ms. Donna Mae Z. Catangay

 

40th Feast of Parokya ng Pagkabuhay Parish in Barangay Bagbag, Novaliches

Parokya ng Pagkabuhay (Parish of Living) is also known as The Resurrection of Our Lord’s Parish. It was then a small chapel dedicated to Mary, Mother of Perpetual Help and Jesus, the Divine Mercy.

Pagkbuhay road corner Quirino Highway, Novaliches, Quezon City

However some older residents that there are plans to create a parish in early 1970’s. The church was turned over to the Achdiocese of Manila when it was established as the Pagkabuhay Parish on November 15, 1978 by the late Jaime L. Cardinal Sin.

Easter vigil mass attendees

The parish is located along Pagkabukay Road just beside Bagbag cemetery within Barangay Bagbag, Novaliches,Quezon City.

Origin and Etymology

Jesus Christ and Blessed Mary

Barangay Bagbag was then called Sitio Binagbagbag/ Sitio Binagbag when it was established around mid-1850’s. The terrain is hilly and uneven landscape which required some pounding of grounds, crushing of rocks, leveling in several places, clearing of cogon grasses and cutting of trees. Eventually, it was elevated to Barrio Bagbag by the late 1860’s due to the increase local migration and settlement by people coming from Polo, Meycauayan, San Mateo and even from Manila. The name was then shorten it to Barrio Bagbag for easier pronunciation and recall.

This is one of the first barrios of Novaliches and old residents would recall that, the place also had a high density settlement. Most of the residents are low and middle income families.

Black Nazarene statue in front of Barangay Bagbag hall

grotto area

There is also Bagbag reservoir which was built by the Americans which the water flows coming from La Mesa Dam and impounded in the reservoir. Older residents would recall that they would play and even take a bath at the spillway during the dry season.

Establishment of the Parish

band from Nueva Ecija province

grotto area

The friars came from the nearby Our Lady of the Angels Seminary (OLAS), founded 1962), which is located at the western part of Barangay Bagbag. In 1979, the community was able to purchase the land near the Campo Santo de Bagbag or Bagbag cemetery.

crowd

The construction commenced a bit slower phase due to lack of funds and relying on private contributions coming from the parishioners.

statue of the risen Christ

The first church was completed in 1983 in modern style architecture with its belfry built on the center. The establishment of the Pagkabuhay Parochial School in 1983, which would eventually evolve into the Resurrection Catholic School in 1998.

The first fiesta was celebrated on Easter of 1979. This year’s marked the 40th anniversary of the parish. The celebration started with a vigil then followed by the traditional “salubong” rite between blessed virgin mary in black veil and statue of the risen Christ.

festive arch with buntings and colorful lights greeted parishioners and visitors

The program also included children singing on top of the grotto and showering rose petals on the images.

fireworks display

Colorful fireworks and firecracker display is never complete at the fiesta and easter festivities.

Jesus Christ

Before the elevation of Christ the King of the Universe parish in Kingspoint subdivision. Priests from Parokya ng Pagkabuhay, San Bartolome would celebrate mass within Kingspoint,San Pedro IX and Goodwill Homes 1 chapels before the establishment of a separate parish.

Quirino Highway early morning

Baragay Bagbag tarpaulin poster

Parokya ng Pagkabuhay Easter Celebrations

Goodwill Homes 2 arch

The author was invited by a friend living in Goodwill Homes 2 to experience the annual fiesta. Some of the houses even prepared a hearty lunch which celebrates both fiesta and Easter.

Bishop Antonio R. Tobias ( diocese of Novaliches ) lead the mass and was special guest of the parish. Special guests also included Congressman Alfred Vargas, Barangay chairman Rex Ambita and councilors of district 5.

Bishop Antonio R. Tobias presided at the mass

He was warmly welcomed by parishioners and celebrated the 9:00am mass. The bishop also celebrated the mass last April 17 Ash Wednesday at 6:00pm.

Parokya ng Pagkabuhay parish with festive buntings

My friend invited me for a breakfast at their house and took sometime walking around the  place. We also ate at the nearby Nak’s Sarap Buffet restaurant in nearby Barangay Talipapa by lunchtime.

Happy Easter and Fiesta to all residents of Parokya ng Pagkabuhay and Barangay Bagbag in Novaliches, Quezon City !

Address: #625 Pagkabuhay Road,Bagbag.,Novaliches, 1116 , Quezon City

Phone:  +63 997 749 7836

Sources and References:

Diocese of Novaliches website

personal communication with residents of Barangay Bagbag, Goodwill Homes 2 and Parokya ng Pagkabuhay

40th anniversary souvenir program,  Parokya ng Pagkabuhay parish

Pagkabuhay Parochial School 1989 year book

local marker

Easter Vigil 2019 at Christ the King of the Universe Parish in Kingspoint, Novaliches

Holy Week is one of the most important event in the Catholic church. One of the most anticipated event at the Christ the King of the Universe parish within Kingspoint subdivision, Barangay Bagbag, Novaliches in Quezon City is the annual Easter vigil.

church historical marker

A small chapel was constructed early in 1980. While several minor renovations were made in the late 1980’s and enlargement of the chapel was done in the mid-1990’s. The church enlarged in 2001 and became a full pledge parish of the diocese of Novaliches in 2004.

holy week schedule of activities

The full holy week schedule was posted at several vantage points within the subdivision and FB page of the parish. Easter day celebration in the mid- 1980’s and 1990’s were simple.

Christ the King of the Universe parish ( vigil rites)

Images inside churches remain draped in purple. The administration of sacraments is severely limited.

facade of the church

The shift from mourning to joy begins at night with the observance of the Easter Vigil, the third and final day of the Paschal Triduum that began on Maundy Thursday. There was also the procession of Santo Entierro during Good Friday.

Someone from the parish invited me to the vigil which led up to the reenactment of the Easter day “Salubong”.

registration area

Easter day salubong was participated by the community of Kingspoint Subdivision, San Pedro IX, Goodwill Homes 1, Grand Monaco Villas, Dupax compound, Oro compound, Alipio compound, Kasiyahan Village up to California Village in nearby Barangay San Bartolome.

The rite is customarily performed in the early hours of Easter before the first Mass, Which is normally held at around past 4:00 am, while some of the parishioners are already inside the church as early as 3:00am.

participants climb the makeshift platform

Unlike in Makati or some places, Easter Vigil and Salubong takes place around midnight. Easter day celebration within Christ the King of the Universe parish usually happen early dawn at around past 3:00 am.

Easter salubong ritual is meant to depict the apocryphal reunion of Christ and his Mother, the Virgin Mary, after the Resurrection. Statues of both are borne in two separate processions that converge at a designated area which is often an open space with a purpose-built scaffolding at the main entrance of the parish.

children in white dress and wings

The high point of the easter day rites is the angel dramatically removes the veil from the Virgin’s icon, signalling the abrupt end to her grieving and the period of mourning. The veil may simply be pulled off the statue, or tied to balloons or doves that are released into early dawn rites. With white balloons released at the church.

Ms. Jhuie Annika P. Delagala from California Village

Ms. Jhuie Annika Delagala is is hoisted at the makeshift entrance and was the one who took the viel from the blessed mary.

Dozens of children in white dress, with angel wings. While 4 children dress as angels threw in flower petals unto the processional carriages.

start of the easter salubong celebration

The celebrations started with an early morning mass by 5:00 am. The regular mass was celebrated by 6:00 am.

Christ the King of the Universe parish entrance

morning mass at past 10:00 am

Christ the King of the Universe parish within Kingspoint subdivision is getting elaborate and more parishioner are joining the annual Easter celebrations.

Address: King Christian Street, Kingspoint Subdivision, Barangay Bagbag, Novaliches, 1116 Quezon City, Philippines

 Contact : (02) 937 8941