Sustainability Summit Marks Old Manila Eco Market’s Anniversary

Sustainability Summit was successfully held at the second floor Thomas Hall, Saint Thomas of Aquinas building within Colegio de San Juan de Letran marked the Old Manila’s Eco Market first year anniversary.

IMAGE

Ms. Sarah Del Mundo sells foot wear and other products
Contact : 0905-4886628 / 0949-726-8511

IMAGE

Saint Thomas Hall

There were hundreds of participants from stakeholders,all walks of life, professions, environment advocates, students, bloggers,media among others.

IMAGE

Ms. Ferrai Garcia of HEFTPH.com

IMAGE

table bourse sellers

Sustainability Summit started around past noontime with several table bourse sellers selling different kinds of products. Some of which are handmade and sourced from sustainable materials and organic materials.

IMAGE

Colegio de San Juan de Letran entrance

IMAGE

participants

Sustainability Summit

IMAGE

Survival kit and bracelets

IMAGE

Datu Marikudo- specializes on ethnic wallets and hand painted wallet and pouch

IMAGE

Eco Kaliban

IMAGE

Contact Person : Ms. Crisha Chumacera

IMAGE

Ms. Queenie Rodriguez of Vanity and Queen
Contact: 0908-7744288

Ms. Queenie Rodriguez specializes on hand made soap, lotion and charcoal soap

IMAGE

speakers

IMAGE

Ms. Shine de Castro , Mr. Illac Diaz and Ms. Shiela Leyva

The Sustainability Summit organizers aims for a bigger venue place and more speakers in the future. The summit is in joint partnership with Intramuros administration, Colegio de San Juan de Letran, Department of Tourism and Old Manila Eco Market.

Old Manila Eco Market had a bazaar every sunday at the Plaza Roma in front of Manila Cathderal Basilica.

Advertisements

Postal Heritage Tour and Talks

Philippine Philatelic Federation which is an NGO organization of several stamp clubs in partnership with PHLPOST, Pilipinas Philately ,WalkwithChan, Philippine Philatelists and Collectibles FB, Filipinas Stamp Collectors’ Club and among other cause oriented stamp and postcard collecting group is inviting the general public, students, heritage advocates, stamp collectors and tourists to join this FREE guided tour, lecture and explore the historic Manila Central Post Office.

image

Here are tentative schedule for September 21,2019 ( Saturday ): ( Manila Central Post Office main lobby )

8:50 am to 9:00 am registration and assembly
9:00 am to 9:10 am briefing by Mr. Rence Chan ( walkwithchan) games, trivia and on the spot raffle.
9:10 to 9: 30am – Ms. Arlene Labao- ( philatelic section )
9:30 am to 10:00am- Mrs. Josie Cura -special talks about philately and heroes .

10:00am to 11:45 am -post office tour, facilities, P.O. boxes, sorting of mails, proposed museum and gallery, post shoppe.

Parking space is at the left side portion of the post office beside the ( Postal Saving Bank/ OFW Bank) area.

image

Last month several bloggers and vloggers like Finding Tom,LOLPhilosopher went to the tour.

Note: For the “Certificate of Attendance” please try to attend the activity and wait between 3 weeks to 1 month before claiming at the PHLPOST. Contact Persons: Ms. Abi Tarroza, Ms. Perla Goco or Ms. Arlyn Labao (02) 527-01-08 or 527-01-32 ( Mondays to Fridays ) from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.

Celebration of the 400th Anniversary of Santa Cruz Parish

The parish of Santa Cruz which was carved from the growing Filipino-Chinese community started early 18th century. Santa Cruz which also encompass Escolta street was considered as part of the extended commercial, trade and services sector particularly during the Spanish, American, Japanese and early republic which thrives in the district.

image

Santa Cruz parish main facade

The church architecture is a combination of of California style mission, baroque and Asian- Hispanic style. The last restoration was done in the mid-1950’s just after the war.

The current facade was renovated few years ago and several commemorative markers are found within the facade of the church.

image

granite tombstone slab in front of the main entrance

image

marker

Santa Cruz Parish History

image

left Saint Peter Julian Eymard , center mosaic tiles Blessed Sacrament and Nuestra Señora del Pilar

Santa Cruz parish was erected on 20 June 1619. It was recounted that the Jesuits were called to administer the parish primarily to look after the spiritual needs of the growing Chinese population in the adjacent Binondo district. Binondo is located just within 1 kilometer away from the parish and serves as extension of the Chinatown district.

image

interior

A replica of the image of Nuestra Señora del Pilar (Our Lady of the Pillar) in Zaragosa, Aragon, Spain was enshrined by the Jesuits in this church and in 1743, the Confraternity of Our Lady of the Pillar was canonically established. Nuestra Señora del Pilar eventually became the titular of the parish.

image

jubilee cross

image

Saint John Paul II statue is one of the saints venerated at the parish

On April 1, 1764 at the ground surrounding Sta. Cruz Church, British commander Blackhouse, surrendered over the keys of Manila to Governor Anda.

image

commemorative bust of Simon de Anda installed in June 8, 1958 hidden in one corner of the parish.

The plaque below Anda’s bust are the words: 1764. IN THIS SITE THE PLAZA OF MANILA WAS RETURNED BY THE INVADING ENEMY TO THE EMINENT PATRICIAN D. SIMON DE ANDA Y. SALAZAR. FILIPINAS ERECTS THIS TO HIS MEMORY. May 31, 1764.

image

Plaza Santa Cruz with Carriedo fountain, Monte de Piedad and Chinatown Welcome Arch

image

Plaza Lacson aka Plaza Goiti during the late Spanish, American and early republic

The area also had a street car station which is located in Plaza Goiti, while LRT Carriedo station is located just a few meters away.

Towards the mid-19th century, Parish priest Ezequiel Moreno ( now a saint) in October 1880 after being assigned in Mindoro, Palawan and Las Piñas. He became Preacher General, was assigned Parish priest assuming the post in February 1881 until the following year.

image

columbary units located within the side chapel

The church was burned to the ground during the last world war in 1945 with only the facade, bell tower and side walls remains. Few artifacts which included the venerated Our Lady of Pillar was saved.

Manila Symphony Orchestra (MSO) under the Austrian conductor Dr. Herbert Zipper, All the members of the MSO were Filipinos except a young violinist, Manuel “Imo” Wilheim, a Jewish refugee. The other was lead clarinetist Earl J. Smith, of the 37th Division Band held their post liberation concert, fund raising and “Thanksgiving” within the ruins of the church.

image

Plaza Santa Cruz – Photo courtesy of Mr. John Tewell from flickr

Concert was given in the ruins of Santa Cruz Church on May 9, 1945. Among the attendees included Jean MacArthur, wife of Douglas MacArthur, Philippine Chief of Staff General Basilio Valdes and his wife, and His Grace Manila Archbishop Michael O’ Doherty

A decree issued on 18 December 1984 by the late Arhbishop of Manila Jaime Cardinal Sin reverted the name to Santa Cruz Parish. In the same decree, Saint Peter Julian Eymard was named as the second patron of the parish.

image

spiral staircase going to the belfry of the church

Santa Cruz church became a center of eucharistic evangelization and adoration and was informally recognized as a Shrine of the Blessed Sacrament.

image

religious bookstore and supplies within the parish

400th Anniversary Celebrations

Parish pastoral council launched a year-long celebration of the parish. His Excellency, Bishop Sofronio Bancud, SSS presided over the thanksgiving Mass and the blessing of the jubilee door last June 20, 2019.

image

jubilee door with 400th anniversary logo

The year round will be capped with the colorful fiesta and several events in which devotees of the blessed sacrament can participate.

It is also worthwhile to those who wanted to help the parish feeding program to coordinate with them, since the parish is known to give indigent community rice porridge “lugaw” and pandesal.

References and Bibliography:

NHCP historical marker

Saint Ezequiel Moreno bibliography
Santa Cruz parish leaflet

Santa Cruz Church : A living Heritage book

” Herbert Zipper”  holocaustmusic.ort.org. Retrieved November 12, 2011

American Regime Manila Thru Postcards (Part 3)

Manila and her immediate towns and landmarks were always the main feature during the American regime.

ESCOLTA

Escolta street earn the moniker “Queen of Manila’s street” since this one of the oldest street and a major street of the city.

One of the oldest streets in Manila, Escolta was created in 1594. Its name was derived from the Spanish word escoltar, meaning “to escort”. This was further developed during the late Spanish and American colonial regime when tall buildings were built.

Another important note is this street would host ticker tape parade when visiting dignitaries, crowned beauty queens and heads of states even until the mid-1970’s.

There was an obscure ordinance in Manila that requiring men to wear formal dress when within Escolta. This was finally repealed in the early this millennium.

American Regime Postcards

IMAGE

Avenida Rizal

Avenida Rizal is one of the important commercial centers of pre-war Manila. This comprises of Quiapo, Santa Cruz district. The business activity from Avenida Rizal is an extension from nearby Escolta. Some businessmen preferred this district since rentals is a little bit lower compared to Escolta, Chinatown or Binondo.

IMAGE

Bridge of Spain with trolley tracks and industrial area

Bridge of Spain – Is one of the most featured bridge of Manila during the late Spanish and American regime.  This postcard was probably printed before 1914 flood which had almost destroyed the bridge.

IMAGE

Government Printing Plant– postcards was issued around 1909. This building was one of the casualties of the last war.

philippine general hospital

Philippine General Hospital– This hospital is one of the facilities built by the Americans.

manila hotel

Manila Hotelis the grand dame of hotels in the city, opened in 1912, it was once the residence of General Douglas Macarthur. Ernest Hemingway, to say, ‘It’s a good story if it’s like the Manila Hotel,”. This hotel is one of the most featured hotel in the country.

Most of the landmarks featured were infrastructure built by Spanish and American colonial government. Please try to visit my previous post on postcards issued during the American regime .

Link to “American regime Manila thru Postcards” Part 2 and Part 1

Sources and References:

Collins English Dictionary : Postal Card

Littrell, Robert, Ed; Postal Cards of Spanish Colonial Cuba, Philippines, Puerto Rico, UPSS, 2010.

Personal interview from postcard collectors

Philippine Postcards page 130 to 137 Consuming Passions

Rare Glimpse of Philippine Chinese Anti-Japanese War Memorial Hall within Manila Chinese Cemetery

The small group of about 10 friends went at the iconic Manila Chinese Cemetery. We spotted that the door of the Philippine Chinese Anti-Japanese War Memorial hall was  open.

IMAGE

Philippine Chinese Anti-Japanese War Memorial Hall

According to the caretaker of the war memorial hall, They would only open the hall during November 1 or during important meeting of the association.

IMAGE

Consul General Clarence Young road corner Chun Chin road

We were quite lucky to have the rare chance of seeing the collection. Our group wrote  our names at the visitors log-book and took sometime exploring the museum.

IMAGE

Manila Chinese Cemetery south entrance ( Felix Huertas street) Santa Cruz, Manila

IMAGE

Wha Chi historical marker installed in 1994

Although i have been at the memorial hall several times before, have not brought any camera to document my visit. It is good that some of my friends brought some cameras.

IMAGE

NHCP historical marker installed in 2005

The memorial hall is neatly landscaped with blooming ixora ( santans), champagne palms and potted Adenium obesum ( Bangkok kalachuchi).

IMAGE

boy with native hat mannequin

Philippine Chinese Anti-Japanese War Memorial Hall

Filipino-Chinese

staircase going to the second floor

The memorial hall is grouped into two parts, The first part consists of pre-Pacific war materials, when the Filipino- Chinese supported the war of resistance against Japanese aggression in China. The second part consists of materials after the Pacific war broke out.

IMAGE

That was the period when the Filipino-Chinese joined hands with the Filipino people and American forces to resist Japanese occupation. They organized their own guerilla groups and gallantly engaged the enemy in actual combat, and in so doing, made them indelible contribution to international war.

IMAGE

The materials on display includes historical photos,charts, books, paper money, flag, medals, uniform, map and paintings.

IMAGE

San Pablo, Laguna massacre of hundred of innocent civilians among which are Filipino-Chinese  (painting)

Lagunamassacre

mimeograph machine

Although far from being complete, these at least represent the veins of that period in history.

IMAGE

bas relief

The group was also lucky and got a chance to visit the balcony area, We were able to view a big portion of the cemetery and surrounding skylines.

IMAGE

Manila Chinese cemetery and immediate surroundings

IMAGE

Aside from tombstones, historical personalities, bird watching activities, jogging and biking. Manila Chinese Cemetery can boast of its own unique nice flora.

Note: Special “Thanks” to Mr. Roland Roman Roldan for some of the photos with watermarks, He is an online friend  used to work as a photographer and cameraman in a reputable media entity.