Organic urban gardening is getting popular in the country . One of the place that conducts a monthly seminar about organic gardening is Cedarhills Garden Center located along 57 Mother Ignacia Street , Quezon City.
some of the basic materials and hand-outs
Cedarhills Garden Center is fairy accessible to all modes of transportation. Must say that i am one of the regular ” suki” of the center. I have blogged and wrote a couple of articles which features this center.
This is a one stop shop for those interested with a plant, pots, orchids, tillandsias, cactus, garden supplies , organic mix, fertilizers and even cut flowers from some tenants like Waling Orchids by Puentespina.
The garden center is also known for spreading organic gardening . One can convert ordinary kitchen waste into organic compost material.
Cedarhills Garden Center had several interesting topics that are offered to the general public , gardening enthusiasts and those who wanted to know the basics of growing plants.
1.) Organic Urban Gardening 101 – a 4 hour seminar /workshop with hand-on training on how to prepare organic fertilizer EM, seed soaking and germination, short power point lecture, seedling preparation and plating in seed bedding. This comes with hand-outs, hands-on planting and some free seedlings.
power point presentation
Kuya Gerald Sioco – seminar / workshop facilitator
2.) Organic Urban Gardening 102- a 4 hour seminar/ workshop which is an upgrade on the first module. This comes with lecture and talk, EM ( EMAS) technology preparation, seed soaking , sprouting , seed planting, benefits, planting in containers, transplanting, cutting, bed planting, composting, fertilizer application, pest management, plant ailments, transplanting. There is also a short tour of the facilities and identification of plants.
3.) Basic Cactus and Succulent Workshop – a 4 hour seminar / workshop with introduction to cactus and succulents, pest and diseases , plant classification and dish garden preparation with hands-on demonstration.
All the seminar/workshop have hand-outs, free snacks and certificate of participation.
Since the seminar area is not big, their minimum number of participants is just about 12 to 20 participants per workshop.
benefits of growing your own produce
soil ph level and types of plants and produce which are compatible
old toy truck is transformed into an interesting planting pot for ornamental plant
begonia planted on an old car tire
planting box with planted herbs , kangkong seeds and pebbles for decoration.
vertical garden using soft drink bottles
Seminar/ Workshop Flow
1) There are exclusive of about 12 participants which were composed of online writers, media, students and interior specialist. The workshop area has 3 tables, so that makes 4 participants in each table. Each table has an assistant that will help participants during the workshop. Seminar schedule are normally posted at their FB page. Due to limited area, the maximum participants per session is just 20.
2) Innovative presentation- Power point presentation, hand-outs , kits and hands-on activities. This workshop is 80% to 85% hands on.
3) Participants can borrow gardening kit . Everything you need during the hands-on activities are provided. dio-it-yourself EMAS, soil compost , water, soft pots, plant label , seed packet, plant box, seedlings and pebbles.
4) Attentive to the participants needs. Cedarhills Garden Center Apron (so we won’t get dirty), OFF Lotion (so mosquitoes won’t come near us), bag container (so our things are safe and won’t be dirty).
5) Take home kits. All the things we did in the workshop were given to us to take home. Try to bring virus free USB portal, if you want to get free copy of the power point presentation . If you forgot to bring USB portal- an active email will do.
6) Snacks and Other Perks – No one will get hungry since snacks are provided to the participants( part of the workshop package) . Participants must be attentive to details as a short Jeopardy q and a portion contest by the facilitator. Lucky participants can win exciting herbs or plant.
7.) Post-Workshop Assistance. One can send an sms or an email for questions at their hotlines.
Father’s Day Promotion
Father’s Day Treat
For those interested with the workshop 926-2707 or 0907-ORGANIC to register.
*Up to 20 slots per session. Reservation applies upon payment.
How to Commute:
1.) From Quezon Avenue southbound – There are jeepneys which ply the Quezon Avenue ( route Fairview to Quiapo). ( Capitol Medical Center) try to cross the foot bridge toward Scout Magbanua street and then turn left short walk toward Mother Ignacia street.
2.) From Quezon Avenue northbound- There are jeepneys which ply the route – take off at Scout Magbanua street ( Capitol Medical Center) and then turn left short walk toward Mother Ignacia Street.
3.) MRT Quezon Avenue- There are tricycle routes which ply within Mother Ignacia , Panay Avenue and Timog TODA – tricycle drivers will charge -between Php 30 to Php 50 for special fare.