Santa Maria , Bulacan Culinary and Heritage Tour part 3

Santa Maria , Bulacan

 Torres- Reyes  ancestral house

¬†Ms. Carmen Torres Reyes is the great grand aunt of Ms. Margaux Salcedo ( former GMA channel 7 reporter ) and Congressman Alfred Vargas who were relatives.¬† The house was built during the late Spanish era but was renovated in the 1960’s¬† .

Famous Chocolate and Culinary Icons :

Nana Meng‚Äôs mother served food to President Manuel Quezon and other prominent members of the community . Nana Julita ( sister of Nana Meng)¬† would also be best remembered for her¬†beef asado and ensaymada.¬† Nana Meng herself also had occasion to prepare a meal for then President Joseph Estrada . While another aunt,¬† Ka Tage¬† have wrote down some.¬† We were told that Nana Meng ‘s family is also a culinary icon of the place. People would remember her preparing foods especially during town fiesta .

Unfortunately, most of the family recipes like kesong puti, chicharon, sinigang sa bayabas, lumpiang sariwa and dinuguan, among other Bulacan recipes have never been written down. Instead they have been passed on from generation to generation but only to those who labor in the kitchen. It was Nana Meng and Ka Tage who managed to pass some of the recipe to their descendants .

Fortunately , We were fortunate to sample some of the family famous tsokolate , tinumis ( dinuguan ) .  The chocolate were named after the aunts Nana Meng and Ka Tage .

 Margaux Salcedo website: http://margauxlicious.com/

The house is located just a few meters from Banda 88 and Buenaventura Ancestral House

.participants enjoyed the hearty buffet meal

After the hearty mid morning day brunch , We went to tour some of the interesting ancestral houses, historical spots and we ate a Kamayan style

( Buffet in Banana Leaves) or Boodle Fight  Meal consists of  Java rice topped with deep fried egg plant, pancit papaya, chicken menudo , salted duck egg with chopped tomatoes, ginisang munggo  and chicharon.

Kilawin Papaya 

Kilawin Papaya is also called Pansit Papaya, The kilawin papaya is finely julienne, with chopped onions prepared by the HRM ( Hotel and Restaurant Management ) students and was cooked with vinegar , ground black pepper and some spices. At first glance , You can easily mistake this dish for acahara or puso ng saging. It is also good that they were able to prepare this dish considering that it was the papaya harvest season.

Artists Guilt of Santa Maria or Santiago Art Gallery 

The group toured the Artists Guilt of Santa Maria Gallery or Santiago Art Gallery . The gallery host to about a dozen or so artists from the town.

Bust of Dr. Teofilo S. Santiago

We toured the historic Santa Maria Elementary School . The school is known for its GabaldonРstyle architecture . The main building was built in 1915 and the school had a mini -museum within its premises. Aside from the architectural value , It is also were 2 prominent people  РDr. Teofilo Santiago bust that was made by National Artist for Visual ArtsAbdulmari Asia Imao and President Ramon Magsaysay

group photo

We were given certificate of attendance courtesy of the president of the school and tourism officers which initiated the heritage tour. We also got souvenir group photos with the students and participants from different cause oriented groups,  heritage advocates and our guides.

I have enjoyed the tour and would really recommend this to those who wanted a different travel experience .

Link to previous article:Santa Maria , Bulacan Culinary and Heritage Tour part 2                                       Santa Maria , Bulacan Culinary and Heritage Tour part 1

Santa Maria , Bulacan Culinary and Heritage Tour

Santa Maria , Bulacan province

Mayor Bartolome R. Ramos

This tour was  conceptualized by Mr. Jose Benigno Salvador for the Immaculate Concepcion International College of Arts and Technology. The tour was opened to the public last February 18, 2015 and in cooperation with the municipal government of Santa Maria, Artists Guild of Santa Maria, NCCA, NHCP and various NGO and even bloggers.  On March 19, 2015 РMore than 50 people attended the event.

Atty. Normita L. Villanueva

We were warmly received by the town’s mayor , some of the councilor , municipal tourism officers and the Immaculate Conception I- College of Arts and Technology ( President Atty. Normita L. Villanueva)

tourism and hrm students

There were about 30 students , faculties and staffs from the school who participated in the walking tour.

We were treated to a breakfast hosted by the town which consists of kesong puti ( white cheese ) pan de sal , scrambled egg and instant coffee mix.  Then were were serenaded by kundiman music.

Mayor Ricardo D. Nicolas, Jr. bust ( term of office : 1972 to 1978)

During his incumbency ,The construction of the first floor of the New Municipal Building was finished . He also launched several projects of the government like construction of artesian wells, implementation of population and nutrition programs, as well as other development projects in the municipality, be it infrastructure or social services. The bust was erected in his honor by his wife Mayor Reylina Nicolas (incumbency 1992 to 2001) first female Mayor of the town.

World War II Veterans Memorial

¬†The first monument was erected in the¬† late 1950’s in the municipal cementery . The present monument was erected in 1993 and was initiated by the veterans of the second world war .

Dr. Jose P. Rizal

The monument was erected in 1916 almost the same time with ” Inang Laya” . It was thru the initiative by the veterans of the Filipino Spanish -American war.¬† What we notice is that all the monument¬† that are found in the main plaza were colorfully painted in contrast with other monument and markers in¬† other parts of the country.

The large  plaza fronting the present municipal building is also known as Ricardo D. Nicolas municipal park . Beside the  plaza is the Santa Maria public market and a transport terminal . There is also a night market and nearby towns would come to buy goods.

La Purisima Concepcion House

The house was built after the second world war by Mr. Teofilo Ramirez and Mrs. Balvina Valeriano – The house became center of the church activities during town fiesta during the month of Febuary .

grill works

The walls of the property had pedestal with statue of little children , Mary , Jesus and angels . The house is a rare example on how deeply religious the former owners of the house .

statutes

The traditional changing of clothes of the La Purisima Concepcion which started in the mid 1930’s . It was the family’s house that the image would be brought and the traditional changing of clothes (¬† fiesta) is being done.¬† The tradition is even older than the house.

The house is currently being taken cared by Adoracion, Lourdes and Engineer Rolando  Perez, descendants of the the original owners.

Municipal Trial Court

This used to be built in the 1920’s and the center of politics and main town square until the present municipal building was constructed in the 1970’s .

Inang Laya

Inang Laya  ( Mother Liberty ) is a symbol of nationhood.  There are only 4 statutes of  which are found in the town of Santa Maria , Baliuag , Calumpit and San Miguel.

Jose Corazon de Jesus marker National Historical Committee of the Philippines installed the marker in 1964 .

Jos√© Coraz√≥n de Jes√ļs (November 22, 1896 ‚Äď May 26, 1932), also known by his pen name Huseng Batute, was a poet, writer¬† and King of Balagtasan¬† . He used Tagalog¬† poetry to express the Filipinos’ desire for independence during the American occupation¬† of the country a period that lasted from 1901 to 1946. He is best known for being the lyricist of the Filipino song Bayan Ko and Ang Pamana

Jose Corazon De Jesus house

He published some 4,000 poems in his Buhay Maynila column. He also wrote about 800 columns under the title Ang Lagot na Bagting (The Broken String). Although his favored pen name was Huseng Batute, he also wrote about 300 short poems and prose works under several pseudonyms, such as Pusong Hapis, Paruparu, Pepito Matimtiman, Mahirap, Dahong Kusa, Paruparong Luksa, Amado Viterbi, Elias, Anastacio Salagubang and Water Lily.

History and Demographics: It is the one of the most populous municipality  in Central Luzon and 6th most populous in the Philippines.  According to the 2010 census, it has a population of 218,351 inhabitants in 48,946.

Chicharon :

Chicaron Center- Dolores Chicharon since 1978

There are several rows of houses and stalls which sells chicharon . The industry started from humble beginning in 1900 mostly from backyard piggeries and swine growers.  The stalls are located near the church or barangay poblacion.

Nonie’s Best Pork¬† Chicharon and Jennie’s Pork Chicharon

Nina Pork Chicharon

Contact (044) 641-2254

There were free sampling of the chicharon and some of us cannot resist buying . The price is relatively cheap . Chicharon is priced between Php 10 small packs to Php 150 depending on the packaging and pork . There is also chili flavored chicharon.

Aldana House

A walked around the old poblacion area and we saw a beautiful house where Miss Michelle AldanaMiss Asia Pacific 1993 title holder used to stay during her childhood and with neatly manicured lawn and a boarding house for students (ladies) .  People around the area would refer to this boarding house as Aldana House in reference to the surname of the owner.

We passed Immaculate Concepcion International College of Arts and Technology and have a photo opportunity with the presidents, professors and staffs of the school.

La Purisima Concepcion Church and Convent

The town of Santa Maria used to be part of the town of Meycauayan which was established by the Franciscan order in 1578. The old town includes Obando, Marilao , Bocaue, Polo ( now Valenzuela ) Bigaa , San Jose del Monte and parts of Novaliches ( present day part of Caloocan and Quezon City ) its existence can be traced as early as the year 1647 when it is still a barrio (village) of Bocaue .  The  town was believed to be established on the same period when the  Dominican order which covers Hacienda Lolomboy.

historical marker

La Purisima Concepcion church or Pandi Church was first built in 1792, A big earthquake in 1880 destroyed the old church and restored , unfortunately it was again destroyed by a fire in 1899 during the encounter of Filipino and American forces. It was again later restored. In 1792 it was formally established as a separate parish and was named Santa Maria de Pandi headed by the Franciscan order. Etymology The official name of the town is Santa Maria which is according to the town’s historical account and National Historical Commission of the Philippines . Nested near the Sierra Madre range , the town long history and separation . Santa Maria got its name from its ever guiding patron saint, La Purisima Concepcion, known as Virgin Mary . Townsfolk had a deep devotion to the Virgin Mary and its church sits on a prominent spot.

Please visit the the second part :Santa Maria , Bulacan Culinary and Heritage Tour part 2

Bibliographies and References: National Historical Institute,Filipinos in History Volume 1. Manila: National Historical Institute, 1995 Website: Immaculate Concepcion International College of Arts and Technology (ICI – Sta Maria) Santa Maria Government : http://santamariabulacan.gov.ph/

%d bloggers like this: