It was Maundy Thursday when we decided to visit some churches within Parañaque City , Las Piñas and Pasay area within a few short days.
Left around 5:00 am in our home and traffic was quite smooth from Fairview and Novaliches area until a major road repair along EDSA- Magallanes area to Malibay , Pasay halted the buses , jeepneys to almost a crawl . I was stuck to almost standstill for more than 1 hour and arrived almost 7:45 am at the Baclaran church. The 2 hour and 45 minute traffic is still short compared to 3 hours to almost 3 1/2 hours in ordinary days.
There were a lot of devotees and people taking photos around the church compound. We were also lucky to go inside the main altar took a few snap shots. Before we went to another smaller parish just a few minutes away. Baclaran church had their own website and is open 24 hours . Baclaran Church is known as National Shrine of the Mother of Perpetual Help.
iron works of the our lady of perpetual help
The present church building is the third built on the site in Baclaran. The first was a small wooden structure dating back to 1932 when the Redemptorists moved into Baclaran. It was in this small church that the first novena was conducted by Fr. Leo English on June 23, 1948. By the end of 1949 the novena had grown to eight sessions with about 60,000 people attending. To meet this demand the church was extended to double capacity by Frs. Taylor and English. This was the second building.
the third building, the present National Shrine, was begun in December 1952. The cornerstone was laid by Cardinal Gilroy of Sydney on January 11th 1953 and it was conseｬcrated on Dec. pt 1958 by Archbishop Rufino Santos, assisted by Bp. Antiporda and Bp. Shanley O.CD.. The solemn opening and inauguration took place a few days later on Dec. 5, 1958 by the same Archbishop Rufino Santos, accompanied by Cardinal Agagianian and other bishop.
Santa Rita de Cascia Parish
This is just located a few meters away from Baclaran church , a short walk from the church , this also serves a a border between Maricaban , Pasay and Parañaque.
Saint Rita of Cascia Parochial School
There is a parochial school beside the parish church. Saint Rita of Cascia died on May 22 at Cascia, and many miracles were reported instantly. Canonized in 1900, she is honored in Spain as La Santa de los Impossibles and elsewhere as a patron saint of hopeless causes.
Saint Rita of Cascia
One can offer sampaguita garlands or light a candle
Santa Rita of Cascia side entrance
There are smaller side chapels within the parish compound. The chapels can be rented for funerals.
The main entrance boast of stained glass windows
The architecture is rather new and the bells beside the church is late 19th century. A larger hall is located within the compound.
Address : Quirino Avenue, Baclaran, Parañaque City, Metro Manila
Tel. Number s – +632832 1525; +6328323505, Telefax: 853-063
United Methodist Church
The United Methodist Church is located at 0199 Qurino Avenue, Barangay Tambo, Parañaque City. It is considered as one of the oldest Methodist churches within the city. This had a historical marker installed by then National Historical Institute now (NHCP ) in 1991.
National Historical Commission of the Philippines marker 1991
The church was established in 1901 in Mabong, Pasay by the American Methodists Missionaries . It was subsequently transferred in Pildira, Pasay in 1915 and in its present location in 1917. The church premises suffered a major blow during World War II when it was hit by a bomb which claimed the lives of seventy-seven Filipinos. In 1950, the church was renovated through the help and generosity of the Philippine War Damages Commission and the Trinity of the United States.
Saint Joseph Parish of Tambo, Parañaque City
Saint Joseph Parish of Tambo, Parañaque City is located at 223 Quirino Avenue – One can walk for about 20 minutes from Saint Rita of Cascia Parish or take 1 jeepney ride going to Tambo. The church facade had been recently renovated .
statues within the parish courtyard
According to the community and family friends that we met during the short Visita Iglesia . It was Belgian Catholic missionaries of the Congregatio Immaculati Cordis Mariae (CICM) from nearby Saint Andrew Parish of La Huerta helped planted the seeds of Catholicism in Tambo and by 1969, the barangay have its own Catholic parish named after St. Joseph, the Worker and Husband of Mary with Father Leonardo Marquez as its first parish priest.
Few years ago, the church had some renovation and the main facade was made bigger.
Telephone: +63(2)8528441, (632) 853-4446; 851-2380
San Dionisio Chapel facade made from adobe, bricks and cement. While there are some old acacia trees and palm growing within the outer courtyard of the chapel. The beams are supported by large wood with chandelier.
The main altar retablo is made from hardwood and St. Dionysius or San Dionisio – local call the saint “Tata Dune” Home of the headless patron saint which is enshrined at the center of the altar. Tata Dune was a Bishop from France who was beheaded by his persecutors.
Barangay San Dionisio
Barangay San Dionisio building was patterned after the facade of the chapel. The Barangay building is just located near the chapel.
Local marker was installed on May 19, 1990. Beside the chapel is a stage area where a yearly senakulo is staged.
people are refrain from making noise within the chapel premises
located in El Filibustermo Street corner Quirino Avenue, San Dionisio , Parañaque City
Santa Monica Chapel -Don Galo ,Parañaque City
religious statues are covered with purple cloth to symbolized mourning period
Address: 619 Victor Medina Street , Don Galo ,Parañaque City
Barangay La Huerta arch and bridge
We met some old -time residents of the place, They are quite gracious to tell us the way to Saint Andrew Cathedral . We passed the La Huerta arch and bridge, some old ancestral houses , a couple of eateries along the way.
mansion beside the river
This is a beautiful mansion beside the river with manicured garden and orchids which cling to the coconuts within the property.
Manuel Hernandez -Bernabe historical marker
Manuel H. Bernabe (1890-1960) “King of Balagtasan” in Spanish was a poet, linguist and politician, Manuel Bernabe was born on February 17, 1890 to Timoteo Bernabe and Emilia Hernandez of Parañaque, Rizal.
Saint Andrew Cathedral
Saint Andrew Cathedral is officially The Cathedral Parish of St. Andrew and commonly referred to as the Parañaque Cathedral, is one of the oldest churches in the country. It was established on May 11, 1580 by the Agustinian order. The church is the seat of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Parañaque.
apostolic marker installed in 2011
painting which depicts Saint Andrew parish and its images
These churches and shrines is just 2 ride away from Asiatel Airport Hotel .
Address : Aurora formerly Tramo Road, cor. Andrews, Aurora Blvd, Pasay City, Metro Manila, Philippines
Near Resorts World Manila, NAIA Terminal 3.