Ateneo de Manila University sesquicentennial

A new set of stamps was issued by the Philpost to commemorate Ateneo de Manila University 150th anniversary commemorative

Ateneo de Manila University was featured in Philippines stamps when the  university celebrated its 50th year, ( Ateneo de Davao branch ) 60th year in 2008 , 125th year in 1984  and now its 150th anniversary.

erratum: The Ateneo de Davao University (founded in 1948, conferred university status in 1977), while part of the Jesuit university consortium, is a distinct and separate university in its own right.

Apparently, unknown to many, there are a lot of Philatelists and memorabilia collectors from that University attesting to the several stamps that was issued in the past were sold-out !

The 150th commemorative stamp was issued last June 14, 2009 with a Php7.00 denomination ( 4 sets ) and a Php 28.00 denomination .

a. Ateneo de Manila sesquicentennial logo

b. Blue eagle – university logo and mascot

c.  The cross and St. Ignatius of Loyola

d. Dr. Jose Rizal –  Ateneo de Manila University- most outstanding alumni

The stamps were designed by Father Jason Dy, SJ  , Mr.Joel de Leon and Ms. Hilda Kapauan- Abola

Most of the stamps that were issued is said to have been bought by the Ateneo de Manila University .


Ateneo de Manila souvenir sheet ( note : the stamp was sold at a higher price)

Se-tenant Blocks of Four (34,000)
7p Sesquicentennial logo
7p Blue Eagle
7p At. Ignatius de Loyola
7p Dr. Jose Rizal

Souvenir Sheets of Four (7,000)
7p Blue Eagle
7p St. Ignatius de Loyola
7p Dr. Jose Rizal
7p Sesquicentennial logo

First Day Covers: Manila
Official FDCs: 4 different designs, 12,200 issued
Official Souvenir Folders: 3,200 issued

In 1959 , Ateneo de Manila issued their 100th anniversary stamp on the occasion of their centenary.

Advertisement

Mr. Florentino Cayco memorabilia

Mr. Florentino Cayco Sr. memorabilia housed inside the library

The late Florentino Cayco, Sr., first Filipino Undersecretary of Public Instruction and illustrious educator, conceptualized the birth and administered the growth of Arellano University.

This prestigious institution of learning opened in 1938 as the Arellano Law College, named after Cayetano Arellano, first Filipino chief justice. It closed in December 1941 until March 1945 under the Japanese occupation of the Philippines during World War II. At the end of the war, this educational institution reopened in April, 1945 and was renamed as Arellano Colleges offering a two-year preparatory law course and the regular four-year law course, as well as a complete secondary education curriculum.

In June 1945, Arellano Colleges offered a four-year course in education (Bachelor of Science in Education), a two-year teacher training course (Elementary Teacher’s Certificate) and an elementary school training department. Likewise offered were courses in commerce, foreign service, and arts and sciences.

A year later, in June 1946, Florentino Cayco, Sr., became the first President of Arellano Colleges. Through his efforts, Arellano Colleges was elevated to, and recognized as, Arellano University on February 22, 1947 by the Department of Education, Culture, and Sports.

It was also in 1947 that the graduate school was organized and authorized to offer a course leading to the degree of Master of Arts in education as a requisite for the grant of university status.

In 1954, Arellano University opened a school of nursing which offered a basic nursing course. In April 1960, the School of Nursing expanded its curricular offerings by adding courses in post-basic nursing with majors in public health and clinical teaching. The School of Nursing was later renamed College of Nursing. At about the same time, a preparatory medical course was added to the general curriculum of the College of Arts and Sciences.

In 1978, the graduate school was renamed Florentino Cayco Memorial School of Graduate Studies, in honor of the founder and first president of Arellano University. Added to the graduate courses were the degrees of Master of Business Administration, Master of Science and Economics and Master of Arts in Nursing. In the same year, the management of the College of Law was turned over to Arellano Law Foundation under a Memorandum of Agreement.

Its incessant expansion in all areas and locations has evolved into a network of campuses, the better to serve Metro Manila by going closer to the people.

At present, the Arellano University System boasts of seven campuses, as follows:

Arellano University Main, Legarda Campus Juan Sumulong Campus in Legarda , Manila Jose Abad Santos Campus in Pasay City (AU School of Law) Apolinario Mabini Campus in Pasay City Andres Bonifacio Campus in Pasig City Plaridel Campus in Mandaluyong City Elisa Esguerra Campus in Malabon City.

Arellano University- Legarda main library

A street in Sampaloc was named after this famous educator. The Legarda campus also boast some of his memorabilia like photographs, awards, plaque, certificate, collections of rare books  , medals and other stuffs. The current collection is housed within the university main library .

%d bloggers like this: